Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dwiel

SkinMesh to PMesh and Back

Dwiel    365
I was planning on making a program where the Charactors would have bones for animation, but I was also hoping to be able to alow the user or an algo to specify the number of verticies or faces in the mesh. I was hoping to be able to take advantage of ID3DXPMesh::SetNumFaces and bones for animation. I would only need to convert the mesh to a PMesh when the program starts, or the user or algo changes it. Otherwise I would like them to be SkinMeshes. I''ve been looking through the Reference section of the DirectX 8 Help, but I cannot find any Functions to covert the mesh back and forth without loosing the bone data. Thanx ahead ~Newbie~ Zach Dwiel ~ Tazzel3D

Zaei    122
You will lose the bone data, but that doesnt actually matter. To render a SkinMesh, you have to convert it to a regular ID3DXMesh. If you wanted to use a PMesh, just before rendering, convert that SkinMesh to the normal ID3DXMesh, and then to a PMesh, then render.

On a side note, if you have figured out Skinned Meshes, drop by the thread on that subject and give everyone a hint =).

Z.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
yes, please tell us if you''ve figured out skinned meshes