c++ dieing for game programming?

Started by
49 comments, last by jpetrie 15 years ago
<Serious Grammar Nazi Pet Peeve> FFS guys, it's spelled "dying". That is all. </Serious Grammar Nazi Pet Peeve>

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Advertisement
Well if you want to present hard facts to your teacher, look at any game companies website and print out the programmer requirements "C/C++". It will say java if its iPhone or web-based, and thats it. Or just go to gamasutra.com and look at the job board.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

iPhone apps are written in Objective C, mate. :)
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
Quote:Original post by Derakon

Actually you can write them in C/C++ or Objective C, it all works.

theTroll

To the OP, your teacher is just plain wrong or you misunderstood what was said. C++ is not dying. The sad fact is languges rarely die, they just become less used. I have friends that are doing major work in Cobol, Fortan and Pascal. Also there is some work in Ada and plenty of ASM going around. So even as the "new" stuff comes along there will still be lots of work in the older langs.

theTroll
Quote:Original post by TheTroll
Quote:Original post by Derakon

Actually you can write them in C/C++ or Objective C, it all works.

Not exactly.

Objective-C is a strict superset of C. There exists a variant known as Objective-C++, which is in turn a strict superset of C++. The Objective-C compiler shipped with OS X/Xcode and used for iPhone development understands both dialectical variants. This means that, in practice, your OS X and OS X Mobile (iPhone) applications can largely be written in C or C++, only dipping into Objective-C for the aspects that need to interact with the Cocoa SDK. It does not mean that you can write an entirely C++ iPhone app, though; you can't.
Really guys? Come on now. When I tell you I don't want you to derail threads made by poor neophytes with bickering about benchmarks, I mean that I don't want you to derail threads made by poor neophytes with bickering about benchmarks. This is not the place. I'm not going to be issuing warnings any longer. The posts in question have been removed. Kindly confine your posts to the original topic.
One aspect of the language issue is the level of abstraction certain languages provide.

Abstraction can easily be over-done when you're dealing with a console. When you know your target hardware as well as console developers are allowed to (although they might choose to ignore it), it just doesn't make sense to treat your software as if it operates on some abstract platform.

Is C# suitable for making games? Absolutely. Is it going to beat platform-specific assembly? Almost certainly not, at least not in any case where it actually made sense to go down to the assembly level.

In just a few years in the industry, working on numerous projects of varying scale and in various disciplines (game/tools/engine/etc), I've worked with C/C++, C#, PowerPC assembly, HLSL, Lua, Ruby, and even a couple proprietary languages.

The point is that no language is going to solve all your problems, within all your design requirements, and be your favorite (people keep saying choose your favorite, but sometimes that is not your choice). Focus on learning and accepting that new languages will be thrown at you from time to time, and you'll do just fine.

Quote:Original post by blade5
Well one of my teachers says that c++ is dieing and that even games are going to Java and c sharp (c# I believe?). Is this true or does she just have no idea what she's talking about?

It is not that cut and dried. C++ is dying, that much is true. But as TheTroll and others have said, it's going to take a long long time to die. Games are going more to C# and Java (and flash and python), but very slowly at the moment. There are significant practical roadblocks to companies adopting those languages, and C++ is likely to remain the dominant industry language for some time.

Across all jobs, the languages required shows interesting trends.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to learn c++ to only find out its not going to be used anymore.

Why not? Learning to program is important. The language is just a vehicle to talk to the computer. The relative popularity of a language matters only insofar as you can find people to answer your questions. There are other traits which are better metrics for what language to learn. There are many other threads about that.
Well everyone has got in there bit i thought i would offer mine as well.

iv been teaching myself to program things for well to long now (Side note hope to go to school this year for it) I know a fair bit of C++ and C#. Here is the thing you end up picking the language that is easiest to do the task you want. There will all ways be pros and cons it comes down to you as the programmer to pick what you think will do that job best and that only comes with experience so take your time and learn one language then learn another. I like so many was very pro C++ and i don`t think for the longest time you could get me to try another language out side of web based ( Eg Php, HTML , &#106avascript , DHTML ) and what do u know one day i figured id try C# and low and behold i love it. I do not think it will ever replace C++ but it is very useful and does take a good chunk off of development time. I guess what i am trying to say is i was in your position once and the truth is no language is really better then another they are just more suited to specific tasks. If you want something that you can show a product with quickly C# is more then likely your ball player but if you need something that you can have good control over and know what is in the code C++ is more likely your choice ether way it comes down to one principle that makes good programmers games or software alike.

You have chose the language best suited for the job or learn a new one. Flexible adaptable problem solvers that what a programmer is in there truest form.

Well guess i am done yarmering.
pick one language it does not really matter what one because you are more then likely going to learn the other one, one day anyways.

Best Regards Jouei.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement