Whats the best turn based strategy game ever?

Started by
49 comments, last by ohnam 14 years, 11 months ago
It depends whether you are referring to video games or board games; I'll assume you mean the former.
Quote:Original post by Phytoplankton
Battle for Wesnoth
http://www.wesnoth.org/

This one is one of the best I've played. However, it's not in need of any recreating; it plays fine on Windows Vista, since it's still being updated by the team.

If you want to recreate something awesome, then recreate Warlords 3: Darklords Rising. [smile]
Advertisement
My vote goes to XCOM/UFO and Fantasy General
Quote:Original post by DarkHorizon
Quote:Original post by Dex Jackson
1. Chess (Oldest Strategy Game known to man; invented the overall genre)

Tafl predates Chess by over 1000 years, but isn't nearly as popular. Other forms predate it, too.

Shameless plug :)
Final Fantasy Tactics.
Age of Wonders. The art for that game was amazing, and the gameplay was pretty fun. AoW2 wasn't as good art-wise (it went with a 3D rendering feel instead of the almost-hand-painted feel) but the gameplay was also pretty fun and I still wish my disk hadn't broken. :{
For computer games I'd still have to go with Alpha Centauri. While it's Civ on another world, I really enjoyed how they brought each of the factions to life through the personalities of their leaders and that they were ideology based instead of nation based. As for a board game, Settlers of Catan has to be the most vicious, non-violent game I've ever played. I've also gotten an appreciation of poker lately, though it truly is a game that has to be played in person with others and not over a computer.
-----------------------Or, as I put it, MMORPG's are currently about attaining two primary things: strength and a shovel. The rest is you just shoveling sh** endlessly trying to get stronger to shovel more sh** so you can look for the next new shovel to shovel more sh** with. Once you are done, you can stand on top of a large pile of sh**, raise your golden sh** shoveler up high into the air and boast how proud you are to be the best sh** shoveler of them all. -Griffin_Kemp
Fricken Pokemon, yo.
=============================================MEGA MAN EVOLUTIONMy first project was re-designing a dead franchise. Copy/paste the link below into your address bar for a video sample of the gameplay.http://thedelusionaldreamers.com/video/mmevid.html
I can think of a couple of TBS games that are rooted in fantasy designs, and yet are so different that you really can't compare them.

King's Bounty - The original New World Computing gem, predates Heroes of Might and Magic by a few years (1990 IIRC). Troop, treasure, and artifact locations are randomized, as is the villain locations which gives it considerable replay value. I used to beat it once a week, back in the 386/486 days. It's still fun today. It was effectively remade for the PS2 as HOMM: Quest for the Dragonbone Staff.

Age of Wonders: More tactical than HOMM/KB, this was another excellent, yet very different game. You had 12 races to choose from, each with their own units and strengths.

Civilization: The original empire builder; you should know this one.

Steel Panthers: World at War: A World War II freeware TBS. Basically, it is a battalion-level tactical game, with a breadth of units unmatched by nearly any other game. While the AI isn't all that great, it can still put up a fight and can be quite challenging. Especially if you use historical or bizzare formations (Panzer II light tanks and cavalry FTW!)

Master of Magic and Master of Orion are two more well liked TBS games, but I regret to say I haven't played them.

Age of Wonders is a good game, I always preferred it to the Civilization games. There are things that really bug me about it though.
Age of Wonders was okay, but certain bits were unbalanced. And the whole 'no random map generation' bit. It's only the most vital feature of any 4x game...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement