Visual C++ 2008 problem

Started by
16 comments, last by ChainChief 15 years ago
I just got a new 64vista pc and downloaded Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. When I try to run the default console program I get the following error message: Unable to start program 'C:\Users\Jacob\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Test1\Debug\Test1.exe' The system cannot find the file specified. So far I have changed the Target machine to X64 from X86 but that didnt do anything. What else can I try?
Advertisement
Did you compile the program before running it?
yes
I've noticed a lot of people having the same problem. Ironically, I can find a single place where it sais whether Visual C++ is compatible/not compatible with Vista 64 bit. If not, Is there a better compiler that is?
is it maybe the whitespaces in "Visual Studio 2008"?
Did u try copying the file to some other location or run it from command shell?

Best Jochen
Why did Doug Gregor create the empty directory?
Quote:Original post by ChainChief
When I try to run the default console program I get the following error message:

Unable to start program 'C:\Users\Jacob\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Test1\Debug\Test1.exe'
The system cannot find the file specified.
Well, does that file exist?
I Should have mentioned that. It does not exist. In fact, I did a search and could not find the executable anywhere. I dont know why it is not creating it when I compile.
Quick question, I havent used visual in vista 64 bit but, is anything actually compiling in vista 64bit? You can grab gcc and execute the command line string that visual uses in a term and see what happens.
Where is your project located, in the user directory? If not, it might be a UAC problem where it won't let a new file be created in a restricted folder.

I have UAC disabled on my x64 Vista and am running as administer and have not had any problems. Check your account privileges as well, you need Admin.
Unfortunately, disabling UAC had no effect.

I found an article which goes into detail about getting VC2008 Express to compile, but it requires messing with the registry and moving files around. I am reluctant to do this, but I will try if there is no other option.

The article is here:
http://jenshuebel.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/visual-c-2008-express-edition-and-64-bit-targets/

Can someone assure me this is a valid procedure, or should I try something else?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement