Mobile p2p networking framework

Started by
2 comments, last by hplus0603 14 years, 11 months ago
Hi everyone, currently I'm planning to develop networking games for mobile platforms, I am trying to develop it as peer to peer since the environment in which they will wont require (or don't have) a central server, my question is is there any p2p networking framework out there that can run on real devices and that is easy to test on?(my main target platforms are j2me, android, windows mobile and maybe the iphone). Thanks for your help.
Advertisement
First, cell phones will often not want to accept incoming connections at all. They may not not have a publicly routable IP address at all, instead relying on the service provider to do NAT routing out to the Internet.

Second, most IP traffic from mobile phones goes through cell phone provider routers and translators, that may add up to several seconds of latency during high load situations -- at least that's what I've been able to figure out from looking at these kinds of problems in the past.

If you want multi-user cell phone games, I suggest you host a server somewhere on the Internet, and prepare yourself for dealing with very high latencies.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
First, cell phones will often not want to accept incoming connections at all. They may not not have a publicly routable IP address at all, instead relying on the service provider to do NAT routing out to the Internet.

Second, most IP traffic from mobile phones goes through cell phone provider routers and translators, that may add up to several seconds of latency during high load situations -- at least that's what I've been able to figure out from looking at these kinds of problems in the past.

If you want multi-user cell phone games, I suggest you host a server somewhere on the Internet, and prepare yourself for dealing with very high latencies.

Thanks for your reply, another alternative I see is to use ad-hoc networks... is there any way to use the mobile devices in ad-hoc fashion, or platforms that let this happen, I mean some framework that can let the devices work in ad-hoc network and deal with the communication issues (device discoverying, message routing, syncing)?

Thanks again.
In MIDP? Not that I know. The only portable device with solid ad-hoc networks I know of is the Nintendo DS.
Specific platforms, like the iPhone, or the NGage, may support that, but then likely through WiFi rather than the carrier network. Also, as WiMax comes online, that may be better supported in the future.
However, for now, you'd have to use device-specific APIs to access any such functionality.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement