Sign in to follow this  
all_names_taken

Unity Unreal and Quake map formats

First of all, would it be legal to use these map formats in a hobby project (even assuming the project generates some income, in which case it perhaps counts as indie/commercial)? What's the status on using the map editors that are available (IIRC at least Quake 3 engine/Wolf:ET engine has a map editor created by the community, but I can't recall its name)? Second, assuming the answer to the first question is yes, are there any good tutorials, references or good sample code on how to load these map formats? Well, the two above questions may really apply to just about any engine to which there is a good map editor, but Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament were the only engines whose editors I've personally tried and concluded were good.

if you want a serious answer, ask a lawyer.

you wont get an answer that will stand up in court here.

source: http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Quake_2_BSP_File_Format.shtml
Quote:

Legality

Using id Software file formats in a publicly distributed application always seemed a little questionable to me in terms of legality. In preparation of this document I contacted id Software to resolve the issue; John Carmack was kind enough to send along this response:

"We do not legally protect the file formats, but you can't use any of the released tools, or tools derived from them (except the GPL'd Quake 1 tools) to generate content for a commercial venture. If you are writing everything yourself, no problem."

You could always email id or unreal to double check.

Ok thanks! Which of these 2 counts as unofficial and thus legal to use? Has anyone used either?

GTK Radiant
http://www.qeradiant.com/cgi-bin/trac.cgi

Wolf_Tool
http://returntocastlewolfenstein.filefront.com/file/;16254
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/3286/Wolfenstein:+Enemy+Territory+Map+Editor

And back to loading the file format. Is the file format specification public?

GTKRadiant is based off the QERadiant(developed by ID for Quake 2 and onwards) editor at least as far as design. I do not now if it is based off QERadiant's source code however. The map compiler tool(which turns the file the editor saves in to the format that the game engine uses) however is the one developed by ID so that you will not be able to use.

Wolf_Tool is developed by Splash Damage and it was custom designed to work with Enemy Territory so that's pretty much another no go.

You might try looking into QuArK(Quake Army Knife http://quark.planetquake.gamespy.com/). It's a bit different than Radiant but has a pretty strong following from the mappers that use it so tutorials and advice should be fairly easy to come by.

As far as I can tell you're still going to have to write your own compiler to use these editors in a commercial project. On the other hand you won't have to necessarily use the bsp format which may throw in a lot of stuff is unrelated to your game.

For actually drawing the levels this will help you get the geometry up and running, however it does not deal too much with how to use the Potential Visibility Sets for geometry culling. It however links the Q2 flipcode tutorial on helping with that part.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Partner Spotlight

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By trjh2k2
      I've never really been a "Unity guy", since all of my game-dev learning happened in C++, and in other engines, but I recently discovered the "complete projects" section in the asset store.  It's full up on projects you can buy that are billed as "ready to customize and release", with full ad integration.  Some of them claim to be for educational purposes, but why would you include a complete, polished, full featured game with ads as an educational example?
      This leads me to the question of why this goes by unchallenged?  Does Unity and the environment of the Unity Store actively encourage this style of game development?  Is the problem of asset flipping our own fault?  I don't mean this as a "we should make Unity shut this down" kind of thread, but rather just to examine whether or not the environment of being able to just buy whole games or pieces of games is something that damages the industry.  I get why Unity would allow it, and I'm sure it's a working business model for some people- and maybe some people DO actually just use these to learn from, but I'm not that naive as to think that there aren't people who recognize this as one of the shortest paths to putting a game on the market so they can cash in.
      Thoughts?
    • By StefanJo
      Hi everyone!
      I have just released a project called Line Driving to the Unity Asset Store.
      Line Driving is complete project ready for release for both Mobile and PC. 
      It is a game where you have to draw your own road for a car using mouse controls or touch input.
      Features:
      1.Simple to understand,detailed commented scripts 
      2.Well-written documentation 
      3.Mobile-ready 
      4.Unity Ads implemented 
      5.Easy to customize 
      and much more… 
      Link to the asset: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/101595
      Support email: sjovanovic0831@gmail.com

• By Kurupted Playz
      Hey, I'm looking for some people that can help me with a game that I'm making that is a 3d platformer.
      I mostly need someone for character design and animation,  I can do some coding but if you can do coding as well you're still welcome because I'm still not the greatest at coding just yet.
      if you need to contact me add me on discord @ Kurupted#1206

• By Jcyshadow97
      Hi,guys.I m working on a Fantasy RPG.Currently i m work alone on the project.I really need someone can make UI stuff.If someone can handle it please feel free to contact me on email: 270514974@libero.it.
      Thank you guys and sorry for my english.

• By STRATUM the Game
      Hey, everyone! This is my first post here.
      I would like to know what you think about my project called STRATUM. It's a 2D platformer that is heavily based on storytelling and boss fighting while trekking through the world.

Everything in STRATUM takes place in the first century AD, in a world that wraps our own universe, called  The Stratum. A parallel Universe that is the home of the Christian deities . In this game you will play as a Dacian warrior, unfamiliar with everything in this world, you’ll get to know and understand The Stratum together with him.
      The main thing that I want with STRATUM is to reinvent the known lore and history of the Christian deities and realms. 
      The story is unconventional, it plays down a lot of the mysticism of Hell or Heaven and it gives it a more rational view while keeping the fantastic in it. What do I mean by that? Well, think about Hell. What do you know about it? It's a bad place where bad people go, right? Well, that's not the case in STRATUM. I don't want to describe such a world. In STRATUM, there is a reason for everything, especially for the way Hell is what it is in the game. "Hell" is called The Black Stratum in the game.
      This world is not very different from Earth, but it is governed by different natural laws.
      The story will also involve the reason why this world entered in touch with ours.

What do you think about all that I said? Would you be interested in such a game? I have to say that everything is just a work of fiction made with my imagination. I do not want to offend anyone's beliefs.
      I want this to be a one man game. I have been working alone on it (this was my decision from the beginning) from art to effects to programming to music to sound effects to everything.
      I also have a youtube video HERE if you want to see the way the game moves and the way my music sounds.
      Please, any kind of feedback will be highly appreciated. If you have something bad to say, do it, don't keep it for yourself only. I want to hear anything that you don't like about my project.

• Popular Now