MMORPG combo/keybind system

Started by
11 comments, last by Griffin_Kemp 14 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Mercenarey
Have you considered a combo system, where you chain attacks (like Tekken and other fighting games)?

Tekken (Im not implying that you should make it THAT elaborate) can be played with a console controller, which has very few keys, so if you take lessons from it, you should be able to make interesting combat depending on combo chains which use very few keys. Some Tekken characters have different stances as well (like Hwoarang, the taekwondo-guy), which allows them special comboes not otherwise available.

Honestly I have not played either tekken or spellborn.

In terms of fighters, I think they tend to use the combination of keys to create combos. For example right and A will do something different then down and A. They also use progressions of attacks. I am not really talking about something like that.

I looked at the Spellborn system and it seems like a really interesting system. It is not quite what I was suggesting though. The major difference is that in the spellborn system there is a set progression from one group of attacks to the next. In the system I am talking about the set of abilities available to the player depends on the attack they use.

In the spellborn system (from what I understand) if the player is in skill group #1 and uses any skill they go to skill group #2. In my system if they are in skill group #1(stance 1) their next stance will depend on the ability they use. So in skill group #1 if they use ability #3 they will change to skill group #3. Now once they are in skill group #3 they can use ability #2 and they will switch to skill group #2.

--------------My Blog on MMO Design and Economieshttp://mmorpgdesigntalk.blogspot.com/
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Griffin_Kemp
1) Is there a reason you want to use buffs (referring to effects that enhance attributes/stats temporarily)?

2) I'm not truly clear on this break down.
I'm firstly not understanding what a "builder ability" is.

Could you describe this in a different fashion possibly?

1) Yes, but they would be concentration based instead of timer based and would act like a stance system. Also not all buffs have to just be stat boosters. They could be passive abilities like life stealing or something like that.

2) There are a lot of examples of classes with "builder" systems. The WOW Rogue, the WOW Warrior, the WOW DK, the COH Brute, and the LOTRO Runemaster just to name a few.

Simply put builders are the abilities that allow the player to attain the power, combo points, rage, fury, whatever to do some other ability or some other ability more effectively.
--------------My Blog on MMO Design and Economieshttp://mmorpgdesigntalk.blogspot.com/
Quote:Original post by Stangler
1) Yes, but they would be concentration based instead of timer based and would act like a stance system. Also not all buffs have to just be stat boosters. They could be passive abilities like life stealing or something like that.

OK, that's manageable since it's not an artificially timed system.

Quote:Simply put builders are the abilities that allow the player to attain the power, combo points, rage, fury, whatever to do some other ability or some other ability more effectively.

Gotchya, so build refers to building up to something else...OK, I'll re-read with that in mind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement