Position placed 'on hold'

Started by
15 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by yeap7
1. I'm wondering ... if it's worth studying a different field altogether so that I am employable even in bad times

2. I'm concerned that in the future if I decide to move into something different it will be hard to find another field that I'd be qualified for even with game dev experience...

3. Another question I had is whether companies (especially in North America) are more likely to not bother with candidates who live overseas, as they cannnot invite them in for an interview on short notice.

1. "Worth" is subjective. ONLY YOU can make this determination. Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/route66.htm

2. I don't think that's a necessary concern.

3. Absolutely nobody wants to bother with overseas candidates, unless they've attained demonstrable excellent experience.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
Thanks again for the advice... I moved cities for my first game design job a year ago, it's considered a local 'hot spot' with around 14 companies maybe, but that's not much compared to some areas in the US and Canada. I have Canadian citizenship as well so I am able to work there without a work permit and I am also willing to pay for my own relocation expenses if offered a job there, but I guess there is more chance of the application being looked at seriously if I am already there.
My advice would be to let the company know that you would like to be kept on the short-list if/when the opportunity becomes available again. In the mean time, continue to search for work just as fervently as you were before -- they aren't going to be upset if you're no longer available in 2 months, they realize that you've got bills to pay.

While you're doing that, also keep your skills sharp by studying and practicing game design. There are plenty of good books to read, other skills to develop (or develop more fully), and plenty of indie/small teams that would be happy to have an experienced designer since you've already said you're willing to work for free.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I am also willing to pay for my own relocation expenses if offered a job there, but I guess there is more chance of the application being looked at seriously if I am already there.

Yes. Move first. Apply second. Near-zero chance of success doing it the other way around.

US and Canada have minimum wage laws. This company might be in a state where it is illegal to allow you to work for "free". There are some exceptions, such as internships for school credit (which you don't qualify) and beta testing which in theory is a license to try the product and puts you under no obligation to play the game. You are better off looking for another job or working on your own projects with similarly situated individuals.
Kevin Reilly
Email: kevin.reilly.law@gmail.com
Twitter: kreilly77
Quote:Original post by frob
Once you have some work experience doing related work it is not too hard to make a lateral move between industries.

An opportunity might be available for an internship and possibly a job at a market research company, looking at quantitative (survey data) and qualitative (focus groups) results and creating reports/presentations based on the conclusions that can be drawn from this information, and I'm considering the idea of spending some time in such a role to continue getting company experience during this economic climate, and also to secure wider career options so that I am not limited to game design openings in a particular city when I need work or if I decide to change paths later in my life.

The obvious similarities to game development in such a job would be learning more about product testing and usability through monitoring focus groups and seeing their reactions and opinions to different products, presentation skills and working in a team environment. It would involve quite a bit of writing although not quite the same style of writing used in game design. Having such a job would give me some stability and the freedom to work on my own personal game projects in my spare time, whilst allowing me to expand my skillset into a field that isn't quite as 'narrow'.

Would 2 years of experience in market research be an asset towards getting a game design job when I decide to cross back over into game design? My main concern is whether employers will value this experience from a different industry, as opposed to if I spent the time unemployed and working on my own portfolio. What additional job possibilities might become available in the games industry for someone with outside experience in market research? (I'm thinking it would be valuable for working at a publisher, such as being involved in the greenlighting process or ensuring a game will satisfy the market needs)
1. Would 2 years of experience in market research be an asset towards getting a game design job when I decide to cross back over into game design? My main concern is whether employers will value this experience from a different industry,
2. as opposed to if I spent the time unemployed and working on my own portfolio.
3. What additional job possibilities might become available in the games industry for someone with outside experience in market research?

1. It wouldn't further reduce the likelihood of getting a design job.
2. It's a very bad idea to do stuff based on how it appears -- how it looks to potential future employers. You should do stuff because it's an opportunity that looks good to you. You'll fail every time if you're always living your life to make other people happy. That said, unemployment looks bad on the resume. You can and should build your portfolio while employed.
3. Nothing comes to mind beyond marketing. This kind of broad question is easier for others to answer if it's accompanied by your own thoughts as to the answer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement