A few days in Vancouver

Started by
3 comments, last by mattnewport 14 years, 9 months ago
The main disadvantage of being British and living in New Zealand is the long flight required to visit friends and family. An upside of this, however, is the ability to stop over en-route with no cost increase over flying "direct" - allowing cheap overseas trips to many varied destinations. Next time my partner and I visit the UK, we will be spending a few days in Vancouver, Canada. We're currently trying to decide how to spend our time there. What are the "must see/do" attractions in Vancouver? Does anyone have any recommendations for other places to visit, perhaps which are below the radar of the Lonely Planet guides? Is there anywhere particularly recommended for eating? Finally, any tips on getting around without a car?
Advertisement
Speaking as a Vancouver resident, this page may be most helpful in getting around without a car.
If I went to Vancouver I'd maybe check out the old Expo 86 grounds, if that's possible these days (not sure). VanDusen gardens are also very nice. You might also want to see about taking a ferry over to Vancouver Island to see Victoria. Butchart gardens are very nice. Yah, I love flowers. :)

And don't forget to stop by Tim Hortons for coffee and donuts!

Without a car should be fine. Most Canadian cities have excellent public transit systems... http://www.translink.ca/
Bring a bulletproof vest. There is a nasty gang war going on right now.
It depends a bit on what time of year you're going to be here. Grouse Mountain is worth a visit for the views of the city but is mostly geared towards skiing and snowboarding in the winter. Granville Island is a pretty standard tourist destination and is worth checking out. If you've got time for a trip to Whistler (about a 2 hour drive from Vancouver) then that's worth a visit, though again it's mostly geared towards skiing and snowboarding in the winter. In the summer the beaches in Kits are nice and Stanley Park is a good place for a walk.

For transportation, as long as you're staying downtown you really don't need a car. Everything in the city is within walking distance and downtown is pretty pedestrian friendly. There's regular buses out to Grouse Mountain and you can get a Greyhound bus to Whistler for about $25 return. I live downtown and get by fine without owning a car.

There's lots of good choices for food. It mostly comes down to your budget. If you don't mind splashing out for a really nice meal with a spectacular view then the Observatory on Grouse Mountain is hard to beat. If you make a dinner reservation there then you'll get a free ride up the gondola so make sure to reserve if you decide to go there.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement