Is it acceptable that I need to write the game out piece by piece, to know what code

Started by
3 comments, last by BLiTZWiNG 14 years, 9 months ago
I need to use? For example I am learning C++, and I know how the logic works to make a game of Tic Tac Toe. Thing is, I can't remember every single thing code wise that I need to put into the game itself. So, I plan out the game, piece by piece (with the // comment brackets. //Main Game Loop //Check for Win Condition //Check for Draw //Draw board etc. If I do that, I usually know exactly what code I need for the game. Is this acceptable if i'm currently still learning?
Advertisement
Perfectly acceptable.
It's the only way to do it..
divide and conquer! top-down style.

Everything is better with Metal.

You're a better programmer than me.

I have been programming professionally (non-games) for the last 10 years and been toying with programming for 20 years. Only now have I finally written tic tac toe, and now I'm trying my hand at pacman, not to learn how to program, but because I have realised that I continually fail to write my dream game because I can't plan it correctly. I have known about top down programming and thought I was doing it, but alas, that's not the case, more like bottom up, so now I'm writing these games with the aim of learning to plan properly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement