Which is better?

Started by
5 comments, last by SuperRoy 22 years, 9 months ago
Which book is better? WinSock 2.0 or Multiplayer Game Programming? I''ve heard WinSock2.0 because DPlay is a high requirement for some people and it wouldn''t be great to learn. Ok thanks. ~SuperRoy
Sup guys?
Advertisement
Well, considering that I wrote Multiplayer Game Programming, you can probably guess which one I would rather you have.

But seriously, I wouldnt consider the two to be rivals.

My book is not meant to rival a sockets book. It is meant to teach how to use sockets and/or DirectPlay for game development. If you are looking for a book to do game development communication then I would recommend my book. For one thing, you arent going to find game theory, MMORPG architecture, 3D, sound, and input information in a sockets book.

Books that are dedicated to programming sockets (not for games) are meant to teach everything there is to know about sockets for every possible use. If you are looking to learn communication for something other than game development, then I recommend a sockets book.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Ok well thanks...I was mainly thinking on Game Development purposes...So i think I''d choose MULTIPLAYER GAME PROGRAMMING...but I also am a bad programmer...so I won''t buy it yet. Do you go over topics like chatting with people first and then being able to launch a game (ie. Worms) games with lobbies instead of just joining any game (ie. Half-Life, Unreal Tournament)...thanks.

~SuperRoy
Sup guys?
I have really been looking at buy LostLogic''s book. I promise... once i get through OpenGL Game Programming and Game Programming Gems and the OpenGL reference book i will get it. ; ^ )

- Lurking
- Lurking
SuperRoy,

The first DPlay examples show how to chat. I then move on to more interesting things such as how to communicate in a simple peer-to-peer game. Later on I show server-client communication code and methods.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

oh sweet. thanks LostLogic. well it kinda doesn''t matte considering I''m not very far in programming...I can just about draw a window. So I think I''ll go through TOTWGPG first, Learn DirectX, then make a game with multiplayer...with your book cause i''d rather have a server chat...The only problem is: how can I host a server if I don''t have a T3 or something like that. I only have 56k.

~SuperRoy
Sup guys?
I always get a feeling everybody thinks of huge servers and T3 speed. This entirely depends on your game! A Chess game would requires a much slower PC and internet connection than Unreal Tournament.

(I have to warn you with starting to quick with multiplayer... It''s not as easy as it seems. 3 years ago I though "oh well, I''ll do this in a month", but I''m now finally at the stage I can bring the first deathmatch version out. Ok, it might have partly been my own problem, but still, MP programming isn''t as ''easy''as ''normal'' game programming...)

Hth,
Almar
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement