Texture Mapping

Started by
10 comments, last by Designsbykenn 22 years, 9 months ago
Hello I''m loving these 3d graphics I see in games like that Oshi Capcom game and other 3d works. I want to learn how to texture map. I know nothing about texture mapping. Nothing! I would really like to learn but I can''t find a good source to teach me. I really dont want to fo out and purchase a book but if I have I will. I hope you guys have a good internet source instead. I''ve been to lots of web sites with texturing tutorials but tehy don''t start from the beginning. PLease help. I want to learn how to texture map. I has access to Truespace, Photoshop and Rhino 3d, and 3d Studio Max if truely needed(I''ll buy it). I''ll say again I know nothing about texturing. You don''t have to show me how to but can just explain to me what I need to know and how to get started. And one more thing, does it really matter if I use Truespace or 3D Studio. I know 3d S. is the best but I''ve seen some good looking images coming from Truespace? And whats Maya good for(I''ll start to use that software in 5 year when I''m more advanced)? Pain is weakness leaving the body. Crying, prayer for the dying.
Pain is weakness leaving the body. Crying, prayer for the dying.
Advertisement
Do you want to texture map in your 3D program or do you want to do it in your own program?

Doing it in 3D Studio or Maya or Truespace is fairly easy. In 3D Studio you can go into the Material Editor, add a new Material. Then go to Maps and add a Diffuse map. The Diffuse map will be your texture (it maps the colors of your texture map to the Diffuse channel of your material).

If you want to write software like a 3D engine that uses texture mapping it is a little more involved. I would need to know your level of 3D knowledge to get started explaining it.

Do you know how to create any 3D objects at all?

Seeya
Krippy
Also, I have never actually used Maya but from what I have heard the main advantage is that it produces output that is generated with TV/movies in mind rather than simply crisp computer animation.

One drawback is that it will not run on Windows 9x, it only runs on NT/Mac/IRIX and requires ALOT of memory to run fast.

And of course it is expensive as all heck. lol

I paid ~$7000 for 3D Studio Max 4.0 and all of the extra goodies and that was pretty hideous. lol. But I think Maya costs more than that just for the base software.

It also allegedly has a much higher learning curve than the other 3D packages.

You are probably better off with Max or Truspace or Lightwave unless you plan on making computer-animated movies.

Seeya
Krippy
I just want to make my own textures in Photoshop and put them into my 3d software. Pretty soon I''ll be going to College and take Computer Science. I want to be a game developer some day. But for right now I want to learn how to put custom made textures down. I know how to make 3d objects. The first 3d object I made was a battery. I made the text in Corel Photo-Paint and it look great for a first timer. Some you have anymore help?

Yes I can help you, by moving this to a more appropriate forum. You may get a better response in the Visual Arts forum.
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
3dsMax and Truespace are only tools.. a good artist will be able to do nice images with either of them. 3dsMax is used by most game companies though, we could even say that it is the standart application in the industry, with Maya and Softimage far behind in term of popularity (quite possibly because they are more expensive). Absolutely no professionnal game companies use Truespace as far as I know, but since you won''t start working anytime soon you might want to use it for education purpose.

There''s plenty of tutorials available on the net about texture mapping in 3dsMax though. Start by looking at http://www.polycount.com ''s ressource sections for uv mapping tutorials. Truespace''s user community is much smaller so there''s hardly any tutorials written for it.
i have a question... is your fatehr a rich defense lawyer or did you just decide to buy 3DS instead of a car? i must say i am a little jealous... ive been wanting 3ds for a while to make kick ass art... but i chose a car instead...lol.
No I''m not rich at all. See my cousin goes to college, for computer science, and buys computer software. With school in all he never has time to learn how to use them. SO why does he spend his hard money? I don''t know but most of the time he lets my have any CD he has. Since he''s in college he get college discounts. So software is given to him at a fraction of the store price. The higher the price the cheaper it is. Plus I get discounts too since I''m a student too. Photoshop would cost me $300.00. So I never buy full priced stuff. I''ll start doing that when I start my career.

take note, texture MUST have 256x256 size, you can use 256colors, 16bit or 32bit it is the only TECHNICAL data to worry!.

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"
Is there any place one the web that can teach me.(crying out)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement