Wierd 3ds MAX 2010 render issue

Started by
6 comments, last by larvantholos 14 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I'm kind of new to 3d graphics, and getting comfortable with wrapping/unwrapping graphcis. Finally learned how to setup individual meshes for faces of an object - and am getting a really wierd render error. Note the pink Triangle is not selected to render. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Can anyone tell me why this might be happening and how I can fix it?
Advertisement
it could be a wide number of things.
do you have any more screenshots?
more information?

what is the original object?
I'll post the whole geometry in a few - whats really odd tho is this triangle just appears, I checked in wireframe to make sure I'd not selected any wierd objects hidden in the mesh and nothing :|
Here is another render - ignore my horrabad texture attempts, this was purely me learning some techniques - and how the rendering engine works -

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Note that things render fine as whole elements, is when I try to apply a mesh to a single set of faces that I get the strange triangle :|
i'm having trouble understanding how this correlates to the first screenshot.
can you post a screenshot of your whole project? not a render, just a screenshot of your project as you are working on it in 3dsmax. i want to see the geommetry.

alternatively, if you like, I could actually have a look at your project file. that might be easier.
post your .max file and i will open it up and have a look for issues.
Heres a link to the MAX file - I setup a test render in a new scene to be sure I did not do something wierd...

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5928c9e725ee82539bf8d6369220dcabe04e75f6e8ebb871

Steps I follow here, I make shape (this happens with other shapes too) - I select the faces I want, I add an uvw map for those faces (I've also tried alternately adding a map, then unwrapping the map, and adding a mesh and unwrapping the mesh, same result).

Once the test map is created, I can either render to texture - rending the solid texture setup, or as I prefer in this case, I add a skylight to the scene and setup light tracing to get realistic shadows in, and use that to render the full texture map - in either case, I endup with a triangle in the corner - note that in other renders I've tried in this setup I've had the triangle, or shape in another corner.

From what I can tell the angle of the "shape" seems dependant on the view in the scene, which is kinda odd - theres no other shapes present in there.

I've verified that the shapes I want to render are the only ones selected - and if I do a render map in the render map window (instead of render to texture) I don't get any extra geometry involved there.
curses, i thought i was using version 10 of 3dsmax.
it turns out i am using version 9 and it will not open your file.

now thinking about what you said.... the angle of your scene effects the triangle?
I'm thinking now that this could possibly be a clipping issue.

clipping issues are normally caused by something to do with the scale of the scene. although render output doesn't usually suffer from clipping.. it's all i can think of for now.
what i can suggest for now, is to try fiddling with the scale of your scene. if your object is too small, the camera may not be able to cope with it.

if that doesn't turn out to be the problem... it could be a geommetry problem. try doing some tests with new geommetry.
Well, thanks for trying to help me, it happens with all sorts of things, I'll do even more fiddling - the size of this object is kind of large, however its happend with smaller stuff. If I can't resolve it I may try a clean install and see where that gets me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement