Cheap hobiest console dev kit.

Started by
131 comments, last by Drakonite 22 years ago
quote:Original post by Drakonite

If anybody here has lots of info on it please let me know, post or whatever. I am researching it now and if nothing else, will email sony tommorow.

In case you missed it, some relevant information regarding this is about 15 messages up, posted by Anonymous.

The short of it: a bunch of folks petitioned SCEJ (Sony Japan) to release a version of linux for PS2 for hobbyists. End result: Sony listened; they sold several hundred copies in a matter of hours.

Now SCEA (Sony America) is polling to determine interest in a similar kit for the U.S. The link is here.

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!
Advertisement
About the PSX...

All that would really be required for hobbyist PSX development (aside from official docs and software, of course) is a custum serial cable and an official black sony boot disc *. The serial cable would be used to connect the PC to the PSX (via serial port, of course), and the boot disc would contain a minimalistic OS that would be used to transfer user-written programs and data from the PC to the PSX. We''re talking maybe 50 cents of production cost, minus support fees (and Sony could potentially charge anywhere up to a few hundred dollars with monthly subscription - and we''d still be praising them).

The problem, however, is that this development environment will make it quite easy for pirates to write programs that load bootleg copies of games into the PSX. And while it is true that illegally playing games in this way (verses a mod-chip) A) costs more, B) is more complex a process, and C) requires the use of PC during game play, Sony will never, ever do anything that might potentially open up a backdoor for piraters (even if this new backdoor is much more complicated and costly than the ones pirates are currently using).

A second option would be to provide hobbyist developers access to PSX documentation and closed support sites on, say, an annual bases, while leaving the developers "on their own" as far as the hardware goes (serial cable and mod chip, sony can provide a cd image). The advantage here is that Sony is no longer legally responsable for any software piracy that occurs, since the software pirates have to use custom hardware (much like how no one can sue Sony over losses due to mod-chip piracy - that''s just plain stupid).

-mark

PS: Snail mail and petetions always work better than email spamming.

PPS: I''m actually developing a web site devoted to independant hobbyist PSX development. I''ll be sure to post a link, but don''t expect anything for a few months.

* The real PSX development kit comes with a whole lot of other hardware too. Most of this extra hardware, however, simply provides extra debugging support, and isn''t really essential.
Well the boot disk for the Yaroze loads the OS into an area of memory used by published games - so to try to load up these games would fail, it can be done but virtually all games use this memory.

If I were you guys, I seriously would consider trying to get Sony to reopen this program, the last cost of the Yaroze units were £200, you can make pro quality games on them and the libs are as close to the full set that you need, since all the other functions left out can be written by yourselves and indeed have already been done by the existing members.
Another bonus to this is Sony still make the PSone, so they wouldn''t need to make large production changes to do this, so they may still consider it.

However, it does seem as though they are attempting to create a Yaroze2 with the Linux kit (although the Linux kit isn''t the same thing in many ways, which I won''t go into here) so it may be worth joing the petition to get it released in the US and Europe.

Good Luck!

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

Heh, yea... I signed the PS2 Intrest Form like 2 weeks ago and told all my programming friends to do the same... I hope they do release it here and for a reasonable price. (I''d be willing, but not very happy; mind you, to pay up to $800 for it. Thats how insane I am... Its either a PC or a PS2 Dev Kit... I''d choose the PS2 Dev Kit by far.)

Alex Ford
PointSoft EA Co., Ltd.
http://www.pointsoftonline.com
If you''re looking to do PS2 development, sign the dang form so Sony knows! You''re looking at the "next Yarouze" if they hear enough interest.

If you''re looking for PSX development, it''s already possible. Check out www.psxdev.de for a whole buttload of linux based tools (which may/may not work under windoze). It will require a PSX with the expansion port on the back (search the pawn shops!) and finding a cheat cartridge with a cable connector (ie, like a parallel port). Find the flash image on the web and you can program PSX too! (I know it works, I''ve done it.)

---- --- -- -
mossmoss - It is already public knowledge that the PSX is hackable. But the ability to load and execute user-written programs is entirely useless if we still don''t know how to write these programs. In order to develop for the PSX, we need documentation on how the PSX works. Hence the reason we need Sony.
quote:Original post by mafried
mossmoss - It is already public knowledge that the PSX is hackable. But the ability to load and execute user-written programs is entirely useless if we still don''t know how to write these programs. In order to develop for the PSX, we need documentation on how the PSX works. Hence the reason we need Sony.

Since there are hobbyists developing PSX games, the information on writing PSX programs is out there. In fact, check out this link which has a bunch of information.

If you''re talking about PS2, I highly expect that if Sony does release a hobbyist kit, they''ll provide documentation. It''s a fairly complex system and Sony would look rather silly providing a kit without docs.

---- --- -- -
quote:Original post by mossmoss
Since there are hobbyists developing PSX games, the information on writing PSX programs is out there.

...except that sony''s docs would be sssooooo much better.

sorry for my absence and the lack of any information of petetion yet, but I have a pile of projects I have to do, and my internet connection hasn''t been working much.

I did some reading on the Linux ps2 kit, and the way it looks, any thing your write would work on other ps2''s thathave linux, and that''s it, but I''m not that good with japanese, so I may have mistranslated it...

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People
So uhh... I just want to ask.... Are we going to request a cheap sony playstation dev kit.... or are we going to talk about ps2 and stuff like that?

Not that I wouldn''t like a ps2 devkit, but I gurantee you they won''t sell them any cheaper than they are right now. But somebody contact me at... mark.a.drake@gdnmail.net if you are setting up anything to get a psx kit....
Mark A. Drake
OnSlaught Games
Mark Drake
quote:Original post by markadrake
So uhh... I just want to ask.... Are we going to request a cheap sony playstation dev kit.... or are we going to talk about ps2 and stuff like that?

Not that I wouldn''t like a ps2 devkit, but I gurantee you they won''t sell them any cheaper than they are right now. But somebody contact me at... mark.a.drake@gdnmail.net if you are setting up anything to get a psx kit....

Yes, we are going for psx dev kits... Unfortunately, I have enough projects right now that I haven''t had much spare time to accomplish anything on this. I have about enough time to go through all my messages, and that''s about it.

I know ps2 kits would be more expensive, however there is the linux kit that has been proposed by sony, if it contains the ability to dev games for ps2, then sony has taken the lead for us. I am not going to ask sony about releasing dev info for the ps2, as they would laugh in my face (and with good reason) however I have no problem looking into the linux kit, and answering questions people have using my limited knowledge.

Uh... so if none of that makes sense... let me say this: I am working on getting psx dev info/kits. NOT ps2. But if sony releases dev type kit for ps2, I will be happy

Drakonite

[Insert Witty Signature Here]
Shoot Pixels Not People

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement