Working with "3D Game Engine Programming" or "Programming Multiplayer FPS in DirectX"

Started by
16 comments, last by avig2009 14 years, 7 months ago
First, this is not about getting source for books which you have d/l only to find they are useless without the disk, having spend somewhere in the order of thousands of dollars on math/physics/graphics/premier press books i have no sympathy for those who can't get source code. What I am looking for is anyone who is working with either: 3D Game Engine Programming Programming a Multi-Player FPS in DirectX who has successfully compiled ANYTHING with a newer direct X sdk (august 09 for me). I've been able to compile certain things from each book with much learning along the way, but would like to help/be helped by others struggling to use/using this "engines" for instance: I've comiled 3DGEP up to chapter 6, but meshes display no texture/materials I've compiled PMPFPS up to chapter 7 so far but have had to hack out anything related to the sound and networking (as dmusic and dplay are depreciated) So for those of you who are looking to help, please do, and for those looking for help, reply with your problem, and I'll see if i can't get you to where I am. Collectively our minds work better than alone. PS: If any of the authors happen to catch this post, I'd LOVE to pick your brains and perhaps bring this source up to date.
Advertisement
I think you should give the thread a more descriptive title, it will get more views that way.

Regarding "Programming a Multi-Player FPS in DirectX", you are much more likely to get help over at the book's website: www.coderedgames.com.
Quote:Original post by Gage64
I think you should give the thread a more descriptive title, it will get more views that way.

Regarding "Programming a Multi-Player FPS in DirectX", you are much more likely to get help over at the book's website: www.coderedgames.com.

The forums have been dead for some time and are now locked, i've already attempted to post a similar thread there. And since I do not speak german, zfx.info is out as well.
i have 3D Game Engine Programming so if you got any problems just ask
Well I've compiled up to chapter 6, which is really the first demo of the renderer, but it is not texturing at all. There are no screen shots of that chapter in the book, but i'm assuming that the 3 items should be textured? were you able to compile this using a later DXSDK? i'm attempting to use the march 09 release. I'd like to see this in action but cannot seem to find what is wrong on my own. I've also attempted to compile later chapters and get blank polys as well (Like Chapter 7 and the lighting shading demos,they just display a black quad, although there is pic in the book that shows spec reflection on a brick wall.)
would you want me to publish the source code of that chapter or only specific source file or maybe even the exe file
as i said, i have the source, but perhaps confirm that chapter 6 will display textures with the latest directx sdk (august/09). I see the meshes, but no textures. And if it does, then i've a bug i can't find to squish.
Are you sure the textures are loading correctly? How robust is the error checking in this engine and its sample programs?

Also, enable the Direct3D Debug Runtime, it might give you some useful information.
here is some screen shots of chapter 6

Quote:Original post by Gage64
Are you sure the textures are loading correctly? How robust is the error checking in this engine and its sample programs?

Also, enable the Direct3D Debug Runtime, it might give you some useful information.

I think so, although without seeing them it's hard to tell. the files are being read though, and textures are being saved in the skinmanager. I've activated the debug dlls, and now see that i'm getting 2 errors(IDirect3D9::GetDeviceCaps failed: D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE) and a ((WARN) :SetVertexDeclaration: NULL declaration pointer), and then the program as it always has. Until i try to close it that is, and then i'm inundated with:

Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [0] : Address 0109E4CB
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [1] : Address 0109E59B
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [2] : Address 0109E440
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [3] : Address 01092DB4
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [4] : Address 4FDFAF2E
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [5] : Address 1004A0B0
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [6] : Address 10049910
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [7] : Address 0043D72C
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [8] : Address 0043CC9C
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [9] : Address 00447176
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [10] : Address 00446FFF
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [11] : Address 7C817077
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [12] : Address 00000000
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [13] : Address 00000000
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [14] : Address 00000000
Direct3D9: (ERROR) : [15] : Address 00000000

repeating printing out for uhm... 2670 lines or so. same 16 lines over and over, although the addresses are different each time the program is run.
I'm going to poke around the getdevicecaps calls in this code tonight, and hopefully come up with something, but I feel I'm no further ahead now then i was before.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement