New browser-based adventure game

Started by
3 comments, last by mythicwarfare 14 years, 6 months ago
Hi everyone. I've started making a primitive browser-based adventure game at http://www.mythicwarfare.com. Its just getting started, but if you're into this type of game its already somewhat addictive. There is no documentation yet (although there are forums for such) but you can usually find me, or someone, in IRC chat #MythicWarfare on any AfterNET.org IRC server. The game is currently a generic turn-based fantasy rpg style party based game and its clear that its in its infancy. Multiplayer possibilities and empire building options may be worked in eventually. Still, players are welcome if you'd like to try it out. A lot of thought has gone into the skills/classes/equipment/etc to keep it fun and balanced and with a high replay value. IE is required (uses a couple basic java scripts and apparently firefox cant handle it). Questions welcome, comments too -- but please keep in mind its super early in its development so don't be too harsh. Thanks and enjoy.
Advertisement
I just checked out the site. It looks like it will be fun. Here are some things I noticed:
When creating a character, it wasn't intuitive for me how to change Class or Sex, or how to distribute the 1 "Available skill points".
When I went on the screen (right before you start the adventure) I clicked on Change Status, and it didn't do anything.

Once the game starts, the only thing you can do is fight, right? I haven't figured out how to flee, get healed, move around, etc. etc.

And considered that I died in the first round (My character couldn't even kill the first 2 rats), I think the game is too hard.

But keep it up!
Thanks for the feedback grayaii.

You pick your starting class by clicking the class button you want to select but race and sex are randomly determined and unchangable. The skill system is one of the more (currently) detailed parts of the game but that mostly comes into play as you gain levels. Its uncommon for a new character to have enough skill points to choose skills. No character class has any choices with just one skill point. The number of skill points you get as you gain levels (and initially) is based largely on your intelligence score.

And yes ... a majority of the game is fighting battles. Click your character icons to select your actions. If you have options other than "attack" they will be listed there. Though again, at level one without skills, your only option will be to flee. Spellcasters will sometimes be eligible for magic skills ... I suggest learning lightning as your first option. After a few fights you get a feel for what you can kill and what you can't. The game is intentionally difficult because I dislike easy games. Don't get attached to your first few rounds of recruits, they die easily until you learn the ropes. Oh -- most importantly -- try to use groups of at least 3-4 characters. Makes a big difference when fighting 2 rats...

But again thanks for checking it out, and I love the feedback. Clearly its time for me to lay off the more detailed work I'm doing and spend time making the screens more intuitive and user-friendly, with some kind of tutorial maybe to help navigate the currently poor interface.
I'm a big fan of old school RPGs, so I hope your game takes off.
I have some constructive criticism if you're up for that.
I think I figured out how to play it, but with something that's going for a niche crowd, the user needs to be able to understand what's going on immediately, or they'll just move along to another site.

The aspect of hitting "Continue" to fight a monster was a bit confusing. Is there a town involved, or does it involve just continually fighting monsters? Also, I died pretty much immediately, and it looks like it's a "dead is dead" game. That might be going a bit far for that sort of thing.
-----OpenEndedAdventure.com - The Adventure that Anyone Can Edit.
Phytoplankton thanks for the criticism. I've taken some notes here and although, unfortunately, I wont have much time this week to work on mythicwarfare, I'm going to really try to make it more playable before the next evolution. It seems that is a common complaint, that you stare at the screen and think "whats this, how do I play, this looks lame." Somehow I need to improve that.

It is a "dead is dead" game for sure. I need to explain that to newcomers somehow too, get it in their faces that this isn't a "normal" game in that regard, and that you need to think of characters as generic pieces of your clan that come and go easily. In most games of this type a lot of effort goes into character creation and people get attached to them, but I need to present a different outlook since you might kill off 5 or 10 or more guys for every one that "makes it." (By "makes it" I guess I mean reaches level 2-3+, where an experienced player more or less has to make a few mistakes to lose a guy ... or get very unlucky.) I do see that aspect turning off a lot of players, but I think it will appeal to a small but not insignificant "hard core" crowd who always play iron-man modes and what not and will appreciate a game where success isn't merely a function of hours logged.

Though thats clearly secondary to making it easy/possible to even get started. I will make that my priority. Maybe expect another post in a few weeks or a month when I have a new version ready :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement