Iphone or BlackBerry Development

Started by
9 comments, last by zedz 14 years, 6 months ago
I'm thinking about starting develop games and other applications for iphone or blackberry but I dont know which to choose... Iphone Pros: -A lot better for games because support Opengl ES 2.0 and hardware acceleration. -App store license its only 99$ per year. Iphone Cons: -An Iphone costs a lot more than a Blackberry. -App store its full of great games. -Mac OS needed. BlackBerry Pros: -There are just 900 games in BlackBerry App World, and most of them are "shitty". -Can be programmed in Windows. -Programmed in Java so no need of learn Objective-C. BlackBerry Cons: -App World is 200$ for 10 applications. -No hardware acceleration. What you think should be better??
Advertisement
iPhone.

$99 per year for unlimited apps is a bargain. Of course, if you do not have access to an Intel-based Mac and do not want to or cannot get one, then that's a problem.

No, I am not a professional programmer. I'm just a hobbyist having fun...

Quote:Original post by maspeir
Of course, if you do not have access to an Intel-based Mac and do not want to or cannot get one, then that's a problem.
You can perform most of your development on a PC, as only a small platform-shim need be programmed in Objective-C. And not to advocate the breaking of any possible laws in your jurisdiction, but a Hackintosh is also a possible alternative...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I think blackberry's marketshare is declining, apple's is growing

"As iPhone passes BlackBerry market share, RIM prepares to counterpunch"

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid40_gci1338352,00.html

a third possibility is google android
Quote:Original post by maspeir
iPhone.

$99 per year for unlimited apps is a bargain. Of course, if you do not have access to an Intel-based Mac and do not want to or cannot get one, then that's a problem.

The developer license in Iphone inst that great because you cant make more than 5 fairly good games in 1 year I think...

Quote:Original post by zedz

a third possibility is google android

does android support hardware acceleration??? is it easy to sell apps on android store? there are lots of people buying games there?
Quote:Original post by Aqua Costa
The developer license in Iphone inst that great because you cant make more than 5 fairly good games in 1 year I think…
On the other hand, after 4 years you could be selling 20 games, and still only be paying $99 a year. However, I doubt this is a huge consideration when starting out.
Quote:does android support hardware acceleration???
Yes, although be aware that there are multiple android handsets, and they aren't all the same spec. Google's G1 sports roughly the same hardware as the original iPhone.
Quote:is it easy to sell apps on android store?
Easier than the iPhone, as you don't need anyone to review (and, occasionally, refuse) your application.
Quote:there are lots of people buying games there?
Probably. By nature of the low entry cost and lack of review process, the android app store is pretty flooded with apps of fairly low quality, and the overall number of apps is far lower than on the iPhone.

A good game should have relatively little competition, although the user base may not be quite as conditioned to shell out money as Apple customers are [smile]

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Just a comment: the NEWER iPhones have GLES2.0, the older ones have GLES 1.x.

Also there are several platforms that have not been mentioned:

Nokia world:
----------------
Nokia S60 (Symbian), though I *HATE* Symbian, and Nokia's app store is kind of a no show. But depending on the phone you can have access to GLES, or OpenVG, or just the plain software rasterizer.

Nokia Maemo (Linux), their new high end device N900, has GLES2, faster CPU, and more RAM then iPhone by far.

Non-Nokia world
--------------------
Windows Mobile: ok not lots of phones, and I don't know of an App store for it though
Other Symbian based smart phones: more phones, but there is pain in getting it to work on each Symbian environment.

Worse, Symbian is now getting relegated to the "cheap-crappy" phone side of the market nowadays.

Also, Apple's App store on iPod/iPhone is quite crowded, and the story of people quitting their jobs and making a fortune on it are no longer coming true.

In truth, if you are looking for mass-market possibilities, _cheap_ Symbian phones is the place to go. Just have to make the game be able to run, on well, not much. That and code in the Symbian environment (shudders).

There is always JaveME and friends though..

Edit: type fix from not to now, sighs.

[Edited by - kRogue on October 27, 2009 4:21:08 PM]
Close this Gamedev account, I have outgrown Gamedev.
Quote:Original post by kRogue
Also, Apple's App store on iPod/iPhone is quite crowded, and the story of people quitting their jobs and making a fortune on it are no longer coming true.

I'm not thinking about making a fortune selling games for iphone LOL
Let's say 1000$ per year would be great. My first objective is the experience in game programming and if I can gain some cash NICE...

Thanks to everyone
Quote:Original post by Aqua Costa
Quote:Original post by kRogue

I'm not thinking about making a fortune selling games for iphone LOL
Let's say 1000$ per year would be great. My first objective is the experience in game programming and if I can gain some cash NICE...

Thanks to everyone

Then the iphone development route is a no-brainer IMO. John Carmack has made the complete sourcecode to the Wolfenstein iphone app available and you can even compile and run it in the Iphone SDK simulator to check it out.
Besides it's popularity makes it easy to find new books, tutorials,etc coming out everyday to help you if you choose that route.
Even my college is starting an Iphone programming course next year I might take.
Who knows how long the fad will last though?

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Just as a point of reference, developing for the iPhone is order of magnitude more enjoyable than developing for Symbian. Nokia Maemo platform is more like a computer that happens to be a tablet or phone that is running Linux. If you are already familiar with Linux, aside from the pain of setting up ScratchBox, much of the same libraries are available on N900.

Though, iPhone, has much of what you use on Mac OS-X, but a variety of restrictions on top of it though, still get to use xcode though. Go for the Mac or Maemo is my advice.

Close this Gamedev account, I have outgrown Gamedev.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement