Learn OpenGL now or not?

Started by
7 comments, last by nbertoa 14 years, 6 months ago
Hi community. I was thinking to learn OpenGL, but maybe it isn't the correct moment. Why not now? I'm reading and improving the projects of the book "Programming Game AI By Example" and for now I don't need to know OpenGL. Why maybe yes? I already read "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" and I know Irrlicht Engine and Ogre, but maybe it's a good choice to learn OpenGL too. I would to develop a game with SDL and OpenGL. What do you think?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Nikko_Bertoa

I already read "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" and I know Irrlicht Engine and Ogre, but maybe it's a good choice to learn OpenGL too.
I would to develop a game with SDL and OpenGL.

Why spread yourself so thin? Why not focus on getting better at some of the stuff you already know?
What are you doing with all of your knowlegde? What's the point of "knowing" OpenGL, DirectX, Ogre, Irrlicht, etc if it's just empty knowledge with nothing to show for it?

Start making a game! Put what you already know to good use.
If i had a penny for every time this question was asked.....

OpenGL is cross platform.
Directx is Windows based.

Anyone who plays computer games generally plays it in windows.
So both fine.

Both are about the same difficultly to learn.

OpenGL has just been updated to 3.0 (have there been any other updates?)
Directx 11 is out now.

Loading resources in OpenGL and Directx are similar.

Out come is very similar.

Most computer games are built on directx (just for the record that is a sweeping statement).

OpenGL for PS3 Linux MAC

DirectX PC, XBOX(well if using c# and XNA)

There are a few facts.

My humble opinion is directx is better as it is built by microsoft for microsoft operating systems so should in theory perform better.

More resouces for DX and i think more people develop in it TBH.

Ironically i prefer OpenGL for it's portability and paradoxly, i develop in DX.

I think that if you want to build games or do any graphics you should learn one of them. It is easy to learn another, they are similar.

I would suggest directx but there are no good books out for it and it is hard to choose whether to dev in DX9, 10 or 11.

Both are backwards compatible to a degree, systems that run DX11 will run DX9 stuff and i'm quite sure that the same goes of OpenGL 2.0 -> 3.0.

So conclusion... well that's asking for a lot.

Try DX 9.
Must have one known when developing games.
If never going to dev games, do it anyway, you might just find it fun to have something doing something to show your hard work.

YOUR CHOICE.

PureBlackSin
For Games, Articles and Custom High End Computers, come visit.Myndoko
You can't really get by with just Ogre or Irrilicht (i loath Irrilicht).

You ought to have some knowledge of the main apis.

by the sound of it you know enough to do basic loading of models and rendering, go build a game or do something useful with that knowledge!!!!!!!!!

PureBlackSin
For Games, Articles and Custom High End Computers, come visit.Myndoko
@stonemetal: Yes, maybe you have reason.

@Codeka: I made 2 games. One with SDL and another with Irrlicht.
My Blog
I'm focused in artificial intelligence now.

@PureBlackSin: Thanks for the info!
I made 2 games. One with SDL and another with Irrlicht.
My Blog
I'm focused in artificial intelligence now.

Quote:Original post by Nikko_Bertoa
Hi community.

I was thinking to learn OpenGL, but maybe it isn't the correct moment.

Why not now?
I'm reading and improving the projects of the book "Programming Game AI By Example" and for now I don't need to know OpenGL.

Why maybe yes?
I already read "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" and I know Irrlicht Engine and Ogre, but maybe it's a good choice to learn OpenGL too.
I would to develop a game with SDL and OpenGL.

What do you think?

Short answer: No.

You claim to already be decently versed in DirectX, so why bother learning OpenGL?

To make a very general statement, OpenGL doesn't really beat DirectX in any field except it's cross-platform capability. Honestly, unless you need to make a cross platform game, theres not really a reason to stop and go learn OpenGL since there isn't a significant performance gain or anything.

Long answer: Maybe.

On the other side of the coin, i've a firm belief in making a game in the way that makes you most productive. You have the ropes of DirectX you say, so in theory that should make learning OpenGL much easier. Theres not a huge harm in testing out OpenGL to see which API you prefer. Once you figure that out, use whatever you like the most. There isn't a wrong choice.

In lamence terms: some people like DirectX over OpenGL and vice-versa. You can try OpenGL if you want, give it a test run. On the other hand you can just follow my short answer and get better at using DirectX. It is entirely your choice.
Quote:Original post by PureBlackSin
OpenGL has just been updated to 3.0 (have there been any other updates?)
Directx 11 is out now.

The latest version of OpenGL is 3.2 and was released in September 2009 (3.1 came in March 2009). OpenGL 3.2 basically brings OpenGL on par with DirectX 10.0 (it includes geometry shaders). With some of the ARB extensions it is on par with DirectX 10.1 I believe.

Another advantage: OpenGL 3.2 (and thus functionality of DirectX 10) can be used in Windows XP as well. So you can make full usage of DirectX 10 capable hardware in WindowsXP.
@Satharis:
Thanks, I will use the engines that I learned for now. Also I don't want to focus on graphics programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement