Player vs. Super AI Game

Started by
13 comments, last by T-man 22 years, 9 months ago
Ok. If you had wanted to keep the behavior simulator, add some danger. Now, give the player an avatar, and instead of fuzzy creatures, we have big pack animals with pointy teeth. Give them some basic patterns (dominance, breeding, territory, feeding, etc)and the player some tools that will interact with them (mating calls, things to hide behind, scent, big sides of meat, traps). Then finally determine a few goals (possibly on a per stage basis) for example, catching (without hurting) the alpha male, or simply surviving through their territory.

Then, if you were really crazy, find a way to parameterize and randomize the relationships to different items. So that one time the creatures may be agressive and dangerous, another time they may be flighty, and so on.

Another spin could be that you have an area to defend, and the creatures are trying to eat the people therin (sorta like the ailiens movies).

Hope that helps.
Advertisement
There was a 2D action game that had quite a few missions similar to the situation that you described. The name is Hunter/Hunted and it was created by the k.a.a. division of Sierra. (now the division is dead) It was an excellent game, and the missions where it was just you against one other opponent were most excellent.

I am a fan of 3D action games and I would eagerly await one where the entire scope of the game was hunting an equal or percievably (not sure if that is a real word) greater enemy.

P.S.
I believe the short story KalvinB refered to was _The Most Dangerous Game_, written by Richard Connel.

For all those that tried, and haven''t gone and died. I salute you.
For all those that tried, and haven't gone and died. I salute you.
quote:Original post by T-man
FPS, not my style (they just plain suck)... same with most text-based games.

Uh, okay. (?)

quote:
BTW, Wavinator, what excatly made you think I was looking for an easy to implement game?

Pardon, T-man, you were a new (to me) poster here. I probably would have had a better idea if you''d maybe given a bit more detail (technical especially). That''s the trouble with the forums, no one knows what skill level everyone''s at.

As for AI suggestions, what about either 2D or 3D isometric in a variety of hostile environments. Think Prince of Persia, only iso, or Lode Runner, with traps, ropes, cover, etc. This should be a lot less CPU intensive, and won''t make the motion sick hurl.

The fugitives could be in this environment, trying to escape, and you''ve got to outwit the land and them in order to stop them.

The juicy AI elements I see are actually figuring out first the game rules for this hostile area, then how the AI should play. If the environment is significant, then discovering optimal strategies will be difficult. If players can create content, then you get into real-time map analysis and lots of interesting predictive challenges.

If you want to make things even tougher on yourself, make the entire environment maleable. If the player can dig a bambo trap, or wind back tree branches to cause damage, or roll boulders downhill, then the AI should be able to do this, too. Now you''re into figuring out how to bait and lure players, something which hasn''t been done before.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Player vs AI?

Okay... let''s see... I think AI is not developed enough yet to be an even match to any player (without cheating).

So... you''d have to make the AI more powerful from the get-go.

Also, I think that the intelligence of the AI side, no matter how smart you make it, will never feel real. So I''d always opt for a robot.

Think Terminator.

You as the player play the human part, the AI takes control of the more powerful robotic Terminator.

To make it interesting for the player, you''d have to give the AI unpredictable predictability. What I mean by that is that the AI should behave in a way that can be expected... but sometimes will do unexpected things.

Simple example:
If you throw a rock to a location, it''ll make a sound. The predictable behaviour should be for the AI to hear the sound and go and investigate. The unpredictable part of it, could be that he suddenly turns around.

"Unpredictable predictability" I like that

Woohoo... I''m on day 4 on my C++ in 21 days course. %Another two weeks and I''ll be a master programmer!%
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Player against AI? Well, I guess my game will feature that, though not in the way you expect it

I have been designing a neural net to ''control'' the NPC''s, and more important, to generate good quests.

So, you are more or less strugling against my AI :p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement