Got good idea, but no experiance or direction.

Started by
39 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years, 4 months ago
Thanks for all the input guys! Also, I've been looking for a 3d model program, I've heard a lot of good things from Blender (and I've used it a few times before) but does anyone have any suggestions regarding this subject?
Advertisement
Ok, so I am going to go with Unity and Blender, this brings me to my next question: Blender makes its own joints and such but uses some kind of integration with Bullet Physics for physics. Unity has its own joints and such and also uses physics from Ageia PhysX. So how do these things work together?
They don't. If you plan on using Unity, don't do the physics in Blender. Unity has a full-featured and very easy-to-use editor which lets you set the physics up. Use it.
Quote:Original post by sybixsus
They don't. If you plan on using Unity, don't do the physics in Blender. Unity has a full-featured and very easy-to-use editor which lets you set the physics up. Use it.

This may sound dumb but is there any reason to have anything but Unity? Or do I have to make the model/bones in Blender and upload it to Unity?
Quote:This may sound dumb but is there any reason to have anything but Unity? Or do I have to make the model/bones in Blender and upload it to Unity?
Unity is not a modeling program (unless they've added that feature recently :), so you'll most likely need to create your assets in another application (such as Blender) and then load them into Unity.

This goes for other assets types as well, such as sound effects, music, and textures (each of these will most likely need to be created using another program).
Quote:Original post by jyk
Quote:This may sound dumb but is there any reason to have anything but Unity? Or do I have to make the model/bones in Blender and upload it to Unity?
Unity is not a modeling program (unless they've added that feature recently :), so you'll most likely need to create your assets in another application (such as Blender) and then load them into Unity.

This goes for other assets types as well, such as sound effects, music, and textures (each of these will most likely need to be created using another program).

So do I just make a gray character model in the "T" formation or do I need to add bones/joints as well? Also, can I make soft-bodies in blender and then move them to Unity?

[Edited by - Nipah on December 17, 2009 8:37:04 PM]
Bump, this is probably my last question.
Quote:So do I just make a gray character model in the "T" formation or do I need to add bones/joints as well? Also, can I make soft-bodies in blender and then move them to Unity?
What do you mean by 'gray character model'?

Whether you need to add bones/joints depends on how you'll be using the model, but if you're planning on using skeletal animation (and it sounds like that's what you have in mind), then the answer is probably yes.

IIRC, Unity has support for skeletal animation (not sure about soft bodies).
Quote:Original post by jyk
Quote:So do I just make a gray character model in the "T" formation or do I need to add bones/joints as well? Also, can I make soft-bodies in blender and then move them to Unity?
What do you mean by 'gray character model'?

Whether you need to add bones/joints depends on how you'll be using the model, but if you're planning on using skeletal animation (and it sounds like that's what you have in mind), then the answer is probably yes.

IIRC, Unity has support for skeletal animation (not sure about soft bodies).

by 'gray character model' I mean the plain, no mesh/color model of the character/item one is trying to make. I guess what I'm trying to say is "how much of it is Blender and how much is the game engine?" (in this case Unity 3d)
Quote:by 'gray character model' I mean the plain, no mesh/color model of the character/item one is trying to make. I guess what I'm trying to say is "how much of it is Blender and how much is the game engine?" (in this case Unity 3d)
I don't have that much experience with the Unity asset pipeline (particularly with respect to models), but I think the answer is that the actual creation of the model will be done in Blender, more or less (this would include creating the mesh, assigning texture coordinates, adding joints/bones if necessary, creating animations, etc.). Unity would then do the work of actually rendering the model that you've created (and perhaps playing back any associated animations as well).

I think the easiest way to get these questions answered would be to read through the relevant portions of the Unity documentation to see what exactly Unity is capable of, and then try creating some models, importing them into Unity, and getting them onscreen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement