• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snowmoon

[java] Graphics "Tearing"

This topic is 6171 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m writing a software rendering loop that blits from a backbuffer to the screen and having trouble with tearing. Has anyone else seen/fix this problem using 100% pure java. The only possible solution I have is the use the 1.4 fullscreen API, but that doesn''t work under w2k right now ( b2 ). I''de be helpfull for any suggestions that I have not already tried. I''ve... tried diffrent timing using buffer strategy''s ( windowed ) turing off direct draw drawing really fast ( faster than refresh ) drawing really slow ( 1/2 or 1/3 refresh ) Anyone?

Advertisement
Well in the only frame flipping stuf I have heard on is in JDK1.4 and that's not good for you in win2k....

I have been wanting to solve this myself for a while now and I have not seen anything regarding v-syncing a redraw which is a pain! (so easy 2 do in dos/c/asm)

The only option I can think of is using the JINI and getting DX to help out but that's not 100% pure....

If you get it sorted please let me know as it is something I would certainly like to be able to do!

:-)

Edited by - Chaoslab on July 29, 2001 6:13:38 PM

OK,

I have gotten 1.4 fullscreen working under w2k! It was just a matter of ONLY using javaw and NOT java to start my program. The only odd quirk is that it crashed jedit everytime. I have a feeling that jedit my be to smart for it''s own good and detects resolution changes and tries to re-draw but cannot get any handles.

anyways... yes fullscreen using bufferstrategy''s do prevent tearing.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!