Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Avatar

Started by Prozak Dec 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM 99 replies 25.9k views
Original Post
Prozak
Prozak
(Spoiler free) Noticed there wasn't a thread here yet for it, saw it last night. I'm 31 and I'm totally into popular movies, I own 500+ DVDs, etc, and all I can say is I have never before seen anything like this. I even dreamt of the movie. The 3D aspect of it makes for that much more profound memory-making. It truly is like being there with the characters. Now, as a story, I have to agree it hasn't much depth to it. It's the whole technological support the movie has that gives it its greatness. What did you guys think?
Kaze
Kaze
I haven't seen it yet,
I'm considering seeing it just for the special effects but the three hours long is a bit of a turn off.
Prozak
Prozak
Quote:
Original post by Kaze
I haven't seen it yet,
I'm considering seeing it just for the special effects but the three hours long is a bit of a turn off.


How can something that is good, taking longer, be a turn off?
Kaze
Kaze
Alright, I guess I'll see it
AndreTheGiant
AndreTheGiant
It looks so gay. I would like to see how impressive the 3D stuff is, but unfortunately the movie itself looks terrible. It looks like its geared towards 12 year olds. Why couldnt it have been a 3D zombie movie?
mikeman
mikeman
It was totally boring for me. The visuals are nice, but when you got to get through a dull and cliche story, it gets old quick. Now that I think about it though, I had some fun with 2012, so I guess the theme of the visuals just didn't happen to be my cup of tea. It actually reminded me of Battlefield Earth, not that it is THAT bad, but in both movies I kept wondering how the hell could the whole situation turn out well for the 'good guys' without being something really stupid and deus-ex. I kept looking at my watch, and was relieved when it was over. People seem to like it though, and it got very positive reviews, so I guess I'm the odd one here.
owl
owl
I saw the trailer when I went to see 2012. It didn't impress me at all. It looks like a movie for kids. I guess I'll see it anyway if I don't have anything better to do though.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
jrjellybean
jrjellybean
When I first saw the trailers, I thought the movie looked fucking awesome. I also thought the ENTIRE movie was in 3D...

As I saw more and more, however, the movie just looked kind of dumb.

I still want to see it, but I'm expecting it not be good (though I hear the last 20 minutes or so is awesome).
Luckless
Luckless
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
It actually reminded me of Battlefield Earth, not that it is THAT bad, but in both movies I kept wondering how the hell could the whole situation turn out well for the 'good guys' without being something really stupid and deus-ex.


I've heard many comments on just how horrible Battlefield Earth is, but I've only seen pieces of it played on TV, and never watched the whole thing straight through.


What exactly was it that is just so bad about that movie? Nothing in it looked overly horrible compared to most of the crap that is pushed by Hollywood.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
daviangel
daviangel
Quote:
Original post by AndreTheGiant
It looks so gay. I would like to see how impressive the 3D stuff is, but unfortunately the movie itself looks terrible. It looks like its geared towards 12 year olds. Why couldnt it have been a 3D zombie movie?

Yeah I would like to know if the 3D stuff made you dizzy since some people cannot watch 3D movies due to motion sickness.
I even remember watching one of the Matrix movies when it came out at the IMAX theatre at Universal studios and getting dizzy due to the size of the screen and the clarity of the high definition!
I just looked at some of the trailers on YouTube and it didn't seem that much more impressive that what I have seen before. Maybe I need to download the full high definition versions.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
daviangel
daviangel
Quote:
Original post by Talroth
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
It actually reminded me of Battlefield Earth, not that it is THAT bad, but in both movies I kept wondering how the hell could the whole situation turn out well for the 'good guys' without being something really stupid and deus-ex.


I've heard many comments on just how horrible Battlefield Earth is, but I've only seen pieces of it played on TV, and never watched the whole thing straight through.


What exactly was it that is just so bad about that movie? Nothing in it looked overly horrible compared to most of the crap that is pushed by Hollywood.

Yeah I think it was just people not being able to accept Travolta in the ridiculous looking dreadlocks
LOL.
But seriously I think it had more to do with all the scientology links and hidden messages or whatnot since I've seen worse movies. Then again we might just have bad taste since according to some:
"Everything about Battlefield Earth sucks. Everything. The over-the-top music, the unbelievable sets, the terrible dialogue, the hammy acting, the lousy special effects, the beginning, the middle and especially the end"
I actually watched the whole thing which is more than some movies like Titanic which I couldn't sit through and watch the entire 3 hours. I think I had to fast forward through the whole first part of the movie (way too slow and boring for me) where they are making out in the car,etc until it got to the action. I guess I shouldn't make movies then since this was also a Cameron movie!
I actually watched the Aviator the entire way through. I though it'd be a boring movie since it sounded and looked pretty boring from the reviews and I figured how interesting could Howard Hughes be and I didn't like Decaprio in Titanic (did like him in The Beach tho) but was plesantly suprised. So I guess you never know until you actually watch a movie for yourself.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
mikeman
mikeman
Quote:
Original post by Talroth
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
It actually reminded me of Battlefield Earth, not that it is THAT bad, but in both movies I kept wondering how the hell could the whole situation turn out well for the 'good guys' without being something really stupid and deus-ex.


I've heard many comments on just how horrible Battlefield Earth is, but I've only seen pieces of it played on TV, and never watched the whole thing straight through.


What exactly was it that is just so bad about that movie? Nothing in it looked overly horrible compared to most of the crap that is pushed by Hollywood.


A bunch of illiterate cavemen learn to operate modern machinery and weapons, and fly fighter jets in one week, and defeat an entire advanced alien civilization, to the point of trivially destroying the entire home planet.

Also, John Travolta shoots cows. Seriously.

KulSeran
KulSeran
I personally thought Avatar was epic. Sure the story was predictable and cliche, but it was a well told story. I think that was really the key point. The movie didn't do anything that was out of context of the world that was being created. The ideas were hammered in over and over, so by the end you like the protagonists, hate the antagonists, and feel the plight of the world that Cameron was trying to create. The points that seem deus ex machina, probably are, but in context of the world that was created, they seem more believable. Like the cavalry arriving at just the right time in any other story.

I think that going with a simple cliche story was a good move on Cameron's part. Making things too complex takes away from the story telling. Just think of how many "Boy meets Girl, adventure, boy gets girl" movies there are. Not even half of them are good. Its hard to make convincing journeys, but Cameron I think succeeded.

The 3d stuff gave me a headache by the end. But it was totally worth it. One of the few times I've seen a 3d film that didn't have any of the in your face 3d. Everything was depth capped so it felt more like you were just there. And it really brought out the look of the world.
ChurchSkiz
ChurchSkiz
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Quote:
Original post by Talroth
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
It actually reminded me of Battlefield Earth, not that it is THAT bad, but in both movies I kept wondering how the hell could the whole situation turn out well for the 'good guys' without being something really stupid and deus-ex.


I've heard many comments on just how horrible Battlefield Earth is, but I've only seen pieces of it played on TV, and never watched the whole thing straight through.


What exactly was it that is just so bad about that movie? Nothing in it looked overly horrible compared to most of the crap that is pushed by Hollywood.


A bunch of illiterate cavemen learn to operate modern machinery and weapons, and fly fighter jets in one week, and defeat an entire advanced alien civilization, to the point of trivially destroying the entire home planet.

Also, John Travolta shoots cows. Seriously.


It is the epitome of a book-gone wrong. The book is about 1200 pages long and goes through great lengths to not come off as cheesy. I highly recommend it, it's one of the few sci-fi books where humans actually come off as intelligent beings compared to other races. Movie is just awful though. I think it got a lot of good actors because it's a christian science work so they wanted to be a part of it.
oliii
oliii
James Cameron. Say no more... Like a kid with too much money. I'll still see it though.
Everything is better with Metal.
ManaStone
ManaStone
I plan on seeing it just because I have never seen a 3D film in theaters before. I'm not impressed with the CG from what I've seen from the commercials.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
benryves
benryves
I came out of it wishing it was longer. The story is nothing remarkable, but the film is perfectly paced and the world it creates is so beautifully rendered that there's never a dull moment. A truly spectacular film, and one you should definitely see in the cinema in 3D - don't wait for the home copy!
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
Yann L
Yann L
Quote:
Original post by curtmax_0
The CG was horrid as well.

Huh, what ?

I only saw the trailers, but I found the CG to be really well done. I'm probably going to see it only for the graphics, actually.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.