Advice on making a dating sim

Started by
16 comments, last by Nick0523 14 years, 4 months ago
I was thinking about starting a dating sim game.But I'm not entirely sure how to program one.This isn't about the exact programming language I would use this is more about programming in general.The hardest part to me seems to be the dialogue and how to get all the words that have to go into a dating sim in your program without making it super huge.I thought about making a variable named scenario for instance that would stand for the part of the story we're in.Like choosing Marie might be scenario 1, Chloe = 2 etc... and a dialogue variable for each girl.So when you choose Chloe for instance.Chloe_dialogue will increment by one each time you press the enter or left mouse button.The rest would be one of those case things that would have dialogue in each case.But is that the right way to do it?Are there easier ways that I'm not seeing?Any advice or resource would be welcome.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Ovan35
The hardest part to me seems to be the dialogue and how to get all the words that have to go into a dating sim in your program without making it super huge.

"Hugeness" must be subjective, because in my opinion, text is not nearly as big as graphical data. You can write a lot of dialogue text and still have a fairly small program. It's the number of images, audio, and animation that can make the program big.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

The hardest part to me seems to be the dialogue and how to get all the words that have to go into a dating sim in your program without making it super huge.

That's what she said? ;)
Quote:"Hugeness" must be subjective, because in my opinion, text is not nearly as big as graphical data. You can write a lot of dialogue text and still have a fairly small program. It's the number of images, audio, and animation that can make the program big.

I see your point there pictures do take up more space as far as data.So you don't think it's bad form to have code that's super long then?And is the case approach the best way or is there another way of doing it that's better?
Hmm.. An intriguing genre. Not played many dating sims (well, only played a few mini doujin shoujos)

I know you weren't looking for coding suggestions, but have you looked into Ren'Py?
I've not used it, but I know Katawa Shoujo is being made in it; & since it was designed for graphic novels it may be worth trying it out, or just going over the docs & examples to get an idea of how that kind of code is structured.

Off the top of my head this is how I'd probably lay it out: (my terminology and stuff is probably totally wrong - I apologise)

I'd probably manage the game using 2 key elements - story arcs, & weights:

A story arc would be (as you described in the case of a scenario marker) the stage you were in the game.
Each arc would have its own section of code, & would end by switching to one of several other possible arcs.
For instance: You might have the "intro" arc, would can end with either the "cafe" or "school" arc.
Of course you wouldn't want _too_ many, & there's nothing to say that sub arcs can't rejoin back to main story arcs again (infact they should).
I'd split each story arc into a separate file, & draw out a biig diagram to map out the different ways the story could go.

I would also have "weights" - would could be your emotional standing with the different characters in the game, or rankings in certain areas.
Within a story arc different lines could be read depending on your standing with that character (although the basic layout of the story would remain more-or-less the same), & possibly affect which further story arc you end up with.

Decisions within story arcs which lead to different paths would still be kept within the same arc. I would just use temporary variables to keep track of roughly where you are in that arc.
Arcs would be mostly linear, but with varying sets of lines within, & but the decisions you make inside them would affect your weights, & the eventual destination arc you end up in.

Obviously you'd want a pattern which doesn't get your code too complicated.
I noticed you gave the example of using literal numbers as your scenarios. I'm not sure if this was just you simplifying, or was a thought-trend based on the language you were using.
In C++ I would use classes for different story arcs, that inherit a base interface.
Each story arc class could customise a virtual run() or update() method with different code.
When the arc was due to change I would use something similar to:
if(day_has_ended){  game->arc=new storyarc::Day_2(game);  delete this;  return;}

Upon each update loop of the game object it would run the virtual method in the attached arc property. I would leave arcs responsible for deallocating themselves & allocating new arcs in replacement (it is safe to do as long as you are certain about when access to objects cease).

Apologies if I went off track on that last bit (that may not be familiar territory for you).
But I totally wish you the best, & would love to be updated on the status if this project takes off. (also if you want any technical advice & feel I could be of help)
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
I see your point there pictures do take up more space as far as data.So you don't think it's bad form to have code that's super long then?And is the case approach the best way or is there another way of doing it that's better?

Seems you're thinking about hard coding your dialog, don't. Instead write code that reads text formatted in such a way as to keep the flow of your game, for example you could use XML.
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Seems you're thinking about hard coding your dialog, don't. Instead write code that reads text formatted in such a way as to keep the flow of your game, for example you could use XML.

Actually Kwizatz could be right there. I'm perhaps a bit overly keen on embedding code :P
Take what I said last of all with a pinch of salt & find the mix that works best for you.
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz

And if you want to get really fancy, you could use a scripting language to separate the 'dialog logic' from your base application code too.
And if you want to get really, really, fancy and are using something like xna where it's fairly easy to make a content pipeline extension, you could make a custom pseudo-scripting language where you control all of the elements and attributes and control how it interacts with your game through a reader class. GL!
I would use (XML) XPath for the content, then all the 'real' program has to do is loading and displaying some files or strings returned by the XQuery-proccessor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement