Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Screen ripple effect

Started by Drats Jan 15, 2010 at 3:35 AM 3 replies 5k views
Original Post
Drats
Drats
Hey , Basically I want to create some sort of wave effect on my screen to signal lets say a huge explosion. Mind you I am not talking of a camera shake effect. More like as if there were ripples moving across the screen. I have seen such effects in games before but I don't have any references now. Could any one give me any pointers? Anything at all would be much appreciated. Sorry for being so vague.
b_thangvn
b_thangvn
Hey there,

Do you want to do in 3d or 2d? I came across this thread:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=557515

and they discuss some heat wave in 2D. Now, for ripple, I would image it bases on the same principle, just different math function. Uhm, or, you could look up a water ripple demo, and somehow use that effect for a post processing algo that center on your explosion. Anyway, if you can find some reference that would be great.
Drats
Drats
Thanks for the reply.

I am looking to do that effect in 3d. I got a video of what I would like to do.

">effect


Hope this makes my question more coherent.

LogicalError
LogicalError
That actually looks like a 2d effect on a picture of a 3d scene, not a 3d effect.
You could do that by rendering to a texture, and then rendering that texture with a shader (which performs this effect) to the screen.
Drats
Drats
Oh right. I was just saying that the game itself is 3d.

Anyway could anyone give me any reference to such a shader?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.