Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

J.D. Salinger 1919-2010

Started by LessBread Jan 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM 5 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
LessBread
LessBread
JD Salinger dies, aged 91
Quote:
JD Salinger, who shocked one generation and inspired another with a classic novel of teenage rebellion, has died in New Hampshire at the age of 91. Salinger, who shied away from publicity and did not publish an original work during the last 45 years of his life, was the creator of Holden Caulfield, the delinquent, alienated anti-hero of The Catcher in the Rye, which became required reading for generations of teenagers after its publication in 1951. ... The Catcher in the Rye was praised by the New York Times on publication as "an unusually brilliant first novel". But while an instant hit with many teenagers who related to its tale of adolescent angst and adult hypocrisy, it was met with alarm in other quarters. Some school boards made it required reading. Others banned it amid protests from parents over swearing – including the frequent use of "goddam" and, more rarely, "fuck" – as well as the bad example they believed Holden set. ... Ten years ago it was revealed that Salinger had a secret cache of about 15 novels that had never been published. In his last interview, in 1980, he said that he only wrote for himself. ... Salinger was born in New York City on New Year's Day 1919. His father, of Polish Jewish origin, became wealthy importing cheese and meat. His mother posed as Jewish and he did not find out that she was not until after his bar mitzvah. ... In 1942 Salinger was conscripted to fight in the second world war where he took part in the Normandy landings. He married a German woman while serving with the occupation forces after the defeat of Hitler. The couple moved to America but the marriage soon fell apart. Salinger took up Zen Buddhism. ...
Zinn and now Salinger. I wonder who will be next. Today it's difficult to fathom the alarm over "The Catcher in the Rye" but it was real. "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"...
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
kevtimc
kevtimc
I'll never forgive him for Lennon's death. [smile]
LessBread
LessBread
Zelda! Maybe Pernell Roberts was first and Zelda last.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Ravuya
Ravuya
I wonder what Salinger wrote and never released. It's a pity his self-imposed obscurity kept us from knowing more about what made him tick, but I can understand why he did it.

Catcher is an extremely clever novel, and it really was a bombshell when it came out. I believe there are still religious-right organizations demanding the burning of his books, and Catcher is one of the most commonly banned books from public libraries if memory serves.
LessBread
LessBread
A secret cache of 15 novels does sound interesting.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
zedz
zedz
not to rain on the guys wake, but I believe catacher in the rye would be one of most overrated books Ive read, its still a good book mind.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.