2d Sprites or 3d Models

Started by
5 comments, last by klefebz 14 years, 2 months ago
Which takes more time? 2d Sprites or 3d modeling? I'm asking because most likely I will be doing the art for my game as I can't afford and artist and I don't know anyone willing to do it for free. I will be making a platform / shooter game. I'm coming from a programming background. So I will need to learn the art as well :(. Assuming I've learned/practiced enough: For 2d sprites, time will be consumed in drawing sprites for each frame of an animation. For 3d modeling, time will be consumed learning a tool and each asset in the game will take a lot of time to model because of the complexity of an added dimension. My priority is releasing a game. I don't want to spend too much time on the art part.
Advertisement
Make programmer art until you can find someone who wants to do art for your game. It's a lot easier to get people interested in helping you when your game is functioning, so make it the way you want to, 2D or 3D. Boxes and sphere in 3D are quite acceptable when you don't have an artist.
This decision will help me decide which engine I will choose to learn and use: gamemaker or unity.

I don't think I will be programming my own engine.

I will be making a very small game and I've scheduled myself 6 months.

I doubt I will find an artist by that time or if I do, I won't be able to afford their fees.
It depends on what you want, but the two aren't really all that different. 2D is easy to make but difficult to do a lot of animations with due to having to paint each frame, 3D is difficult to initially create but is easier to pose and create animations for, etc. If you've never done this sort of thing before i'd suggest 2D because it has a lower barrier to entry, although its up to you.

You may want to read: Creating Good Game Art When Your Not An Artist, you can also find some sprite sheets from places like Lost Garden. You could also check the Artist Forums in my signature below for tutorials or too see if you can find someone to help you.
It really depends on what you want it to look like.
Take a look at "Muramasa" [YouTube helps], a game developed by Vanillaware, who are [sort of] well known for their amazing 2D graphics. I'm sure it takes more time to do this sort of artwork, then creating a basic PacMan in 3D.

If you plan on displaying everything rather small, with not so many details, the needed efforts might still be higher in 3D than in 2D due to animation effords. But again, it depens on the amount of animations you want to produce.
Thanks for the responses.

Most likely I will be making a platformer with retro style graphics.

But at the same time, I want to produce a game with a commercial tool so I can put it on my resume and portfolio.
You can merge the ease of drawnig in 2D with the ease of bone animation if you use a software wich supports vectors and bones, i know one called anime studio, i suck at drawing, but with that i made an acceptable walking man sprite
I don't play MMOs because I would become addicted

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement