Quake 3 curiosity

Started by
5 comments, last by Zeblar Nagrim 22 years, 8 months ago
How many vertices or faces have a averange level in Quake3? And how many polygons have a character in that game? Thanks, Zeblar Nagrim, Lord of Chaos
Advertisement
15000 vertex per map.
Maybe 4000 really draw(probably less). 500 per model I think.

Why English rules?? C pas très malin tout ça!

That wasn´t much! Where have you get those numbers? I have like 100 000 vertex in my game.
I''ve heard that it''s around 10,000. I can''t remember if that''s Quake1, 2 or 3 though

There is a reason why it''s fast....
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
In q3dm1 there is 13978 vertices. q3ctf1 24467 vertices.
I read it in the bsp directly.

Why English rules?? C pas très malin tout ça!
The q3 models level of detail varies dependant upon the distance from the camera, there are three different models for each of the standard characters, I think, with the most detailed still only having around 300 poly''s.

The static geometry uses dynamic level of detail on curved surface approximations in real time. Use r_showtris 1 from the console and take a look around. Oddly, with showtris on you can also see that the engine splits and sorts decal quads into the world bsp tree which seems a bit over-the-top to me. I don''t know the poly count for an average level, but 15-25k sounds plausible.

Galgiel.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement