Original Post
I was doing some brushing up on my programming interview skills and was going over various sample problems. I found one that talks about tournaments and was wondering how you would go about solving it. My initial guess at first glance is to use a modified form of a binary search tree, but I'm not sure if that is correct or even the right place to begin. Here's the problem: Assume a tournament where at the start 300k people are divided into individual game sessions of anywhere between 7-10 players. The game is played in rounds where anywhere from 0 to X-1 (where X is the total number of players in the session) may be eliminated from a game session. Rounds in one game session are independent of rounds in other game sessions. Any time a game session can be combined with another game session while keeping their total players less than 10, they should be combined, don’t worry about rounds in progress for this problem. Write a simulation to find out total time taken to reach the end of tournament i.e. only one game session is left and it has only one player in it.