Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toshiro

Do you want to buy a X-Box?

Yep, eventually... but for development and testing. I''m looking forward to trying "Ego" as well, but my Xbox''s purpose is a testing platform.

I''m planning to optimize my game for this platform... the market opens wide if you make a game that is so cross platform... and the game doesn''t really need special architecture since an Xbox is essentially a PC.

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org

I''m keeping an eye on the Xbox, mainly because of it''s $299 price tag which might drive away some of the consumer base. (kids!) If it turns out to be a gigantic success I''ll think about it. Since I use Opengl and the Xbox uses Directx 8 I''ll have to port it so we''ll have to wait and see for me. If you''re interested it looks like it has the power of a pc and the compatiblility of a console.

XBox will support OpenGL API by way of NVidia. Doom3 is OpenGL based and will be one of the major XBox games of 2002.

I want an X-Box. Right now I just want it as a gamer. As a developer, I don''t think I will be making games on it. I''m only 14 so by the time I get enough people together for a good looking and deep game and my programming skill is good enough, which should be by the time I''m out of high school. There should be a whole new market. It''ll probably like X-Box 2 and PS3 and Nintendo 256 battling for the market. So I don''t really know.

Yeah i''m going to buy a X-Box, mainly because it has very good specs and one of my favorite games, "Oddworld: Munch Oddysee",
is going to be X-Box exclusive.

"Some that live deserve to die and some that are dead deserve to live"

I''m going to buy an XBox because EVERY game that I''ve seen so far that is going to be released on it kicks ass! I havn''t found a bad game yet! As for developing for it, I dont'' know, most likely not. By the time my game comes out the PS6 would have been released

-----------------------------------------------------------
"People who usualy use the word pedantic usualy are pedantic!"-me

Hey all, I hate xbox, ive got a PS2 site,

check it out, its got an article on our view of consoles. Inlcuding XBOX
just go to articles page

the url is http://www.btinternet.com/~ashley.canning/index.html

Im getting a domain soon

Bye

Guest Anonymous Poster
For me I''m not going to buy an X-Box, but a PC with the same hardware, so I hope to have everything in one machine. For real console, my brother will buy a GameCube. By real console, I mean games with no patch every month and very short loading time... I think that the best games are from Japan.

PS: I''m not japanese, this is not a patriotic advice ;-)

I will just wait and see, for what I know I dont like XBox but if it makes it BIG I guess I will have to give it a try, my biggest concern is that in fact it is pretty much a PC . . . add to that a MS OS, I dont want to be rebooting my console every 5 minutes, or getting bluescreened in the middle of a boss fight.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I agree, X-Box is just a PC with few memory and no screen!
And the GameCube will be more powerfull, less expensive and with better games...

Why Nintendo don''t sell a dev kit for hobbiest coder? Snif!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Xbox looks very good ''couse of its HW.... but... HW is not everything... I think GameCube will rock!, its design is more focused on gameplay and in making things fun... and Xbox focuses only on power...

I WILL buy GameCube... not xbox....

Every console is a PC.Hell,even my microwave is a PC.The PS2 is a PC.The GameCube is a PC.They''re all PC''s.I don''t understand why people here are saying that the XBox alone is a PC.

If you''re saying that the XBox is a PC because it''s built by MS and running Win2K then that''s just ignorance.Let me clarify:

Xbox has a processor.(So does the GameCube and PS2)

XBox has texture RAM memory.(So does the GameCube and PS2)

XBox has storage space(hard disk) (So does the PS2 and GameCube with their memory cards.If you ask me,an 8GB hard disk is way better)

XBox has a GPU(So does a PS2 and GameCube)

XBox has controllers (and possible a mouse and keyboard soon. (GameCube and PS2 have controllers and soon the PS2 will have a keyboard and mouse as well.Dreamcast has a mouse and Keyboard too)

XBox has a LAN jack and DVD drive (Once again,so does the PS2 and the GameCube although the LAN upgrade won''t be comming out for a little while)

Can anyone here tell my why the XBox alone is a PC and not every other console?

Now,to answer the original question,yes I WILL be buying an XBox (I already pre-paid it) Why do you ask? 4 words: "Dead or Alive 3" Have you guys seen the video!? It''s insane!

Oh and Anonymous Poster,get your facts straigh,the GameCube is actually slower than the XBox (in terms of processor and GPU speed).

GameCube Specs:
http://www.nintendo.com/systems/gcn/gcn_specs.jsp

XBox Specs:
http://xbox.ign.com/hardware/168.html

PS2 Specs:
http://playstation-2-games.com/ps2_hardware/ps2_specs.htm

Edited by - TheGecko on August 4, 2001 10:03:09 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
Is the P733 really more powerfull than the Gekko specially designed for game?

Yes in the specs Game Cube seems to the slower, but the games are so beautifull! Just take look at Rogue Squadron or Metroid!

Oh they defenately look sweet! I''m not bashing the GameCube at all! In fact,I''d LOVE to get my hands on a GameCube as well but due to my limited budget I can only go for one console.

And I could ask you to take a look at the screenshots of DOA3. It doesn''t matter.What matters is how much fun these games are going to be.

In my opinion,Nintendo seem to lean towards fun kiddie kind of games (that most or all of us adults enjoy) but I want more blood and gore and violence

PS: Do remember that the processor in the GameCube is a dedicated chip from IBM AND the Intel 733MHz chip in the XBox is ALSO a dedicated gaming chip.So,yes,in terms of performance, the XBox is still faster.(Although It''s not fare to really say this since none of these consoles are actually out yet for us to judge and we need the same game running on both these systems for us to make an accurate bench mark)

It just gets on my nerves when people say the the XBox is just a PC (which is true) but they don''t say that the GameCube and the PS2 are ALSO PC''s.

i will get xbox, in fact i will get XBox and game cube. I already have all the major consoles released since the playstation. i don''t think that anyone should critisize XBox or gamecube just cause they can''t afford to buy both. both consoles have their advantages. i don''t care about graphics as much as i care about great games like Halo. so what if you have the fastest hardware, what if your games suck. i don''t think XBox games will suck. pleese don''t criticise consoles you dont have. and by the way, pc will always be better.

X4J

the difference between a p733 and the GameCube's gekko processor is that the p733 is the same thing as a cpu's processor basically, meaning it cud probably run word processing and spreadsheet apps just as fast as games (maybe faster... Microsoft Word for XBOX ) i think the gekko (the processor, not TheGecko) is really kul because it has a whole lotta special fx built into the hardware(here's a list of them i got from ign):

Fog, Subpixel Anti-aliasing, 8 Hardware Lights, Alpha Blending, Virtual Texture Design, Multi-texturing, Bump Mapping, Environment Mapping, MIP Mapping, Bilinear Filtering, Trilinear Filtering, Ansitropic Filtering, Real-time Hardware Texture Decompression (S3TC)Real-time Decompression of Display List, HW 3-line Deflickering filter

is that crazy or what? plus, it's not like some consles *cough* that are going to allow users to use aol instant messanger, or others *cough* that will probably force users to download patches. GAMECUBE ALL THE WAY!! (my $0.02)
~~KaMiKaZ~~

Edited by - KaMiKaZ on August 5, 2001 3:25:02 PM

There aren't going to be any patches.MS made that clear that the XBox will not permit patches to games.(Besides,remember that it's not MS's fault if a game is buggy or not,it's the developer's fault) And besides,you won't be seeing any patches anyway! That's the cool part because the XBox is a set system. That means developers won't have to worry about different video card configurations or what OS their game will be running on. So if their games work on one console it will work on all.

Also keep in mind that the games written for a PC or a console are written by software companies.There is no difference between Namco and Blizzard,Techmo and BioWare etc...

KaMiKaZ: You're right it does have all thode features,but you're assuming that the XBox doesn't have them either.The XBox as you well know has a GeForce3 type GPU in it that can do all the stuff you stated and a whole lot more! Leaving the 733MHz processor to do all the other stuff. Having one processor do all the work like the Gekko chip is a bad idea.I'd rather have one chip do the graphics and the other chip do the AI and physics etc a la XBox.

Edited by - TheGecko on August 5, 2001 3:38:19 PM

The reason why I thought the XBox is more like a PC than other consoles is becuase it uses a general purpose CISC not one or more dedicated RISC CPUs.

And I have no intention of buying one; I already have a PC and a PS2 to play DVD''s.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent

I''m getting everything, because I''m a total console nut who''s a proud owner of the Saturn for the sole reason that I can play the imported X-Men vs. Street Fighter with a proper controller. I''m also a hobby console coder type, and I''ll basically go with whatever''s the easiest to make games with. Call me crazy, but I really don''t see a big jump between Soul Calibur and Tekken 4 or DOA3. They all push zillions of polys, yes, we''re all fascinated. Which wil allow me to realize my creative visions the easiest? And I really don''t see even half-decent games for any of the systems myself. Most I''ve seen are just sequels with facelifts (though I must say MGS2 has my interest).

Chris Barry

Consoles? I''ll just stick with my computer. I do have an old playstation 1 and it''s collecting dust now. If I want a game, it''ll wait for the PC version.. if it is not published.. oh well.. they missed a big opportunity to make money in the PC market. =)

I kinda like to think that if a game comes out for the XBox,then it will most likely be ported over to the PC.Better save up for those GeForce3 cards !