Software Vertex Processing on GF2 + DX8

Started by
4 comments, last by NightShade 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi. I was wondering if anyone else ran into problems with trying to use software vertex processing on a Geforce2 MX (which technically supports hardware vertex processing) I''m running Windows 2000, and have tried a few different drivers. What happens, is things still get displayed, but the texturing is messed up, all I get is flat brown coloration. I didn''t see in any docs where you are not supposed to use software VP in a hardware capable device, and really, if you aren''t, it should be there somewhere. The other thing that I don''t understand is that it used to work! Software gave me the same texturing as hardware. I know this is often indicative of a problem somewhere else that I changed, but after testing for that all the ways I have available, I get no changes. So here I am posting, in hopes that someone else has had a similar problem, to set my mind at ease somewhat Thanks! ns
-ns-
Advertisement
It sounds like there''s some other bug in your program that is perhaps corrupting the memory where the software vertexes are stored?

I''ve used software vertex processing on GF2 (not MX, but I''m sure it makes no difference) with no problems.
Hmm, that''s what I thought. But if I take the DirectX SDK sample "MFCTex" and comment out the lines in D3DApp.cpp that flag the device for hardware processing (which then lets it default to software processing) (lines 319 through 348 in that file), I get the same effect. That''s the only change I''ve made to that project.

-ns-
I'll take a look at the MFCTex sample and let you know how it goes on my Athlon/GF2 system.

Ok..commenting out those lines in the sample you mentioned didn't cause any problems with the textures on my system. Have you recently installed a new driver for your graphics card or made a similar change?

Edited by - gmcbay on August 3, 2001 3:06:08 PM
Thanks so much.

FYI, this is a LeadTek Geforce2 MX, with the twinview enabled (but it does the same thing with twinview off). I have tried the 12.41 and 14.20 drivers, same results for both.

Also, it works fine on my radeon card. My guess is that it'll work fine on your card too, but if so, I dont really know what to say about the cause of this except that maybe I have a semi-defective card.

Maybe I'll try pulling it out, blowing the dust off, and putting it back in (:

Edited by - NightShade on August 3, 2001 3:09:46 PM
-ns-
> Ok..commenting out those lines in the sample you mentioned didn't cause any problems with the textures on my system. Have you recently installed a new driver for your graphics card or made a similar change?

Thanks again for checking.

I have, but just today I've tried:
6.66 (the latest one on leadtek's site (speaking of which, WTF? Leadtek you better get on the ball with these drivers!)).

14.2 and 12.9 and 12.41 all did not work.
6.66 DID work. However, I havn't had that one installed in forever. MAN are these NVidia drivers a mess. If they could just release one where everything worked, I would be a happy camper. With 6.66, though this works, I am wondering what OTHER thing is broken. Obviously something, or it would be the current one.
{/rant}
Anyway, I'm assuming you're probably using one of the 12.xx drivers, right? If so, I guess I can chalk it up to some Leadtek card quirks. I re-seated the card, and also saw that the fan was burned out (not spinning), but I can't imagine it would get hot enough to fry the chip, as the heat sink should be enough for the short time that I've been using the card (no instability problems). I replaced the fan (with a 90mm case fan!) and lapped the heat sink for good measure, with no change in this bug. Well, maybe something burned out in that huge chip, but everything else seems to be working fine.

If you're wondering, I never have overclocked this card.

Oh well, at least software processing in a card capable of hardware vertex processing is something I don't really need to do.

Edited by - NightShade on August 3, 2001 6:10:23 PM
-ns-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement