What game engine for MMORPGRTS?

Started by
24 comments, last by yamahaalex37 14 years ago
Like I said syntensity has evolved out of the fps style game
There is nothing stopping you making whatever type of game you like
Also where in the thread does it say he wants to make an RTS?

He states that he wants an engine to be used in a mmo with high in game building capabilities
Seeing as its one of our strong points in that respect why shouldn't he check to see if it meets his needs
Advertisement
Because its doesn't it even as any optimized network. Cube Is a mod engine not a game engine.

i could be a noob either and recommend realm crafter but it inst stable yet.
and will not be possible to do what you want whiteout source code rewriting.

RTS was just an example.
and btw your arent helping much

Not really,syntensity uses Javscript for game development so you could easily prototype the gameplay

The more difficult part with be porting cube2 maps to cryEngine but even that could be done by dumping geometry and modifying it
Besides the project seems to develop pretty nicely so he might even stick with it rather then porting

And by this you mean you are a total noob and u dont even know what u talking about...

i think donkey breath said it well ^^

Then can you point out why you think is unsuitable in detail?
After reading an article called "Create games not game engines" or something like that, I thought indeed the best idea for this game would possibly be to start from scratch. At least for my benefit it would do a great deal in teaching me the programming concepts of developing a game, so I've started with XNA and C#. Even if I only create a 2d prototype of the final version of this game, I think it will be a great learning experience and a great way to find team members along the way. I really appreciate everyone's input so far and will likely need very much help throughout the process, so I want to keep this thread going.

Thanks alot adrix89, I like the cube2 engine a lot, and I talked to kripken theancientgoat and surprisingly they've been talking about doing very similar things with the engine. Like I said I am only attempting a 2d in order to start producing some content and find team members. If things look more promising in the direction of that engine (or if i find a programmer interested in taking any other direction) I will be more than happy to go that way. But I do see nothing wrong with a potential MMO with personal building instances working out in the C# and XNA environment, and with C++ implemented if needed. And I'm not sure about porting to cryengine, so maybe or this could be a prototype to gain a liscence. or maybe we could develop the next engine to rival theirs :) or maybe it will just be a very fun 2d or 3d open source game.

I appreciate all the help lets keep talking the possibilities and if anyone is interested in seeing a game like this succeed let me know, I can provide more information.And if you didn't know its essentialy a MMOFPSRTSRPG im aiming for where the MMO world would be static and persistent, but at any time a player could say >go back to my house, and be in a little personal loaded level saved on his computer that he could edit. then go back to the MMO world, find a friend, and connect P2P and the custom made map be loaded upon connection. Will probably be deleted from the visitors computer after the session because it will be different next time.

[Edited by - yamahaalex37 on March 13, 2010 2:57:58 PM]
Quote:at any time a player could say >go back to my house, and be in a little personal loaded level saved on his computer that he could edit. then go back to the MMO world, find a friend, and connect P2P and the custom made map be loaded upon connection. Will probably be deleted from the visitors computer after the session because it will be different next time.

Thats pretty much how syntensity handles map creation already with local servers and server requests
Although there is no p2p connection as it creates an actual server for the map and the map is stored as an asset

I'm pretty sure this could be done if we manage to add the Xus network module originally developed for plexus(also a cube2 fork) to syntensity
Although its not stable yet
To read about the development of it:

http://this-statement-is-false.blogspot.com/2010/02/xus-rsyncbittorrentgit-approach.html

[Edited by - adrix89 on March 14, 2010 3:52:51 AM]
Thanks so much for your help. I successfully created my first game in XNA. It was a great learning experience, but I think that the most important thing that I learned is that I will not be the lead programmer for this project if i want to see it completed in the next 5 years (although I will continue to learn how to program because I feel I am benefiting from it).

To let you know I do have modding/mapping/and managing experience. I have a private project development website dedicated to this game, with samples of my work. I have a design document for this game. I am looking for a programmers to share my ideas with and continue moving this project forward, even if its just here on this thread. If you are interested in joining the site however the site if your interested is http://www.just.boardoo.net/, and the gallery shows samples of my work, for an old dead mod. none of the current members are part of the Just game project, so far it is only me.

Realistically I think I am aiming for 24-64 players depending on the city size in the MMO(persistent, static world), and up to 4 players co-op in the RTS world(world where player is building things).

[Edited by - yamahaalex37 on March 15, 2010 12:47:53 PM]
Is there a reason you are starting with XNA, other than to get it on XBox? Ogre is a rendering engine that a lot of people start with. http://www.ogre3d.org/

It's a very robust render engine and is used by a lot of professionals. There are a tonne of good books for it. Ogre can be very tiresome though with slow progress. You will sit there after 3 months of work and have something very basic, but it will be efficient code and you will have learnt a lot.
I'm actually having great luck in the Cube2 engine. The guys at Syntensity are a big help. Unless someone can explain why another engine might be better I will probably stick with this engine.

Any suggestions?

[Edited by - yamahaalex37 on March 16, 2010 12:25:13 AM]
Stick with what you are comfortable with. Doesn't matter how good an engine is or says it is, if you find one you are comfortable with and it does all you need then that is the engine for you.

Just like when you buy a car, sure a ferrari is one of the fastest but it won't work for getting the family around in it so you go with the family car (until you have the mid life crisis, then the fast cars are the option you want to choose).

[Edited by - donkey breath on March 16, 2010 4:04:23 AM]
I'm still questioning the engine choice, while I like Cube2 a lot it would be nice to know it is the right choice so i don't waste too much time creating useless content.

I know Garry's mod in Source has a lot of features I think would work nice, but I'm not sure how well it would work with loading new maps quickly over p2p connection, or with 32-64 man servers. It does seem to take longer loading, buggy etc, and i want this to be a smooth game for everyone, even some lower spec computers and maybe xbox online.

Unity has also been suggested a lot, then there are other options.

Rememeber there is the MMO world which is 24-64 player community servers, then there is the rts world in which up to 4 players can connect on custom maps. Also unity has been suggested alot.

So any more input in the engine before I get too involved with Cube2?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement