Triangular/square/hexagonal Minesweeper (updated GUI)

Started by
28 comments, last by szecs 14 years, 1 month ago
I've opened your program in "Dependency Walker", which checks for DLL dependencies. It said that "MSCOREE.DLL" was missing on my computer, so I downloaded that. Now if I run the program, it says an error about the .NET Framework.

So now I now why the program doesn't work for me: I don't have the .NET framework installed!

Totally unrelated: you asked if such a built in GUI was elegant. IMHO: for a game, yes, it most certainly is!
Advertisement
I've found the options now, in "new game". Took me a while. [looksaround] Perhaps you could move the new game settings to "options" and make "new game" just start a game without bringing up a dialogue box? It might be a bit more intuitive. And is there any way to scroll the screen?

I like the hexagonal grid mode, by the way. :)
You can scroll with the middle mouse button, and zoom with the mouse wheel.

You can start a new game instantly, if you click on the smiley, just like in the original one.

I guess I should add "help".
Quote:Original post by Lode
I've opened your program in "Dependency Walker", which checks for DLL dependencies. It said that "MSCOREE.DLL" was missing on my computer, so I downloaded that. Now if I run the program, it says an error about the .NET Framework.

So now I now why the program doesn't work for me: I don't have the .NET framework installed!

Totally unrelated: you asked if such a built in GUI was elegant. IMHO: for a game, yes, it most certainly is!
Sorry, I didn't notice this post at all!
Can I make the game .NET independent somehow?
Thanks for that, I'm using C++, so I'll try to look into the problem!
Quote:Original post by szecs
Quote:Original post by Lode

Sorry, I didn't notice this post at all!
Can I make the game .NET independent somehow?

I guess that depends on the language you're writing the game in.

If you're using C#, then not.

If you're using C++, then it's possible, I mean, if all you're doing is OpenGL calls, and no .NET specific functionality, it should be possible to use any other way to load OpenGL (SDL, glut, ...). But it'll of course be some more work to study these libraries and get it all to work.

If you're using Visual Basic, then I don't know, to be honest.

Anyway, tonight I'll check if your game runs in my Linux if I run it in Wine, with Mono installed (the open source attempt at running .NET applications)!

EDIT: Sorry I accidently deleted my post! I post it again here. I had added an extra question, which I wanted to move to a new reply. Here it is:

How do you handle the GUI? Is it handled every frame, or only when events happen? Is the GUI based on events or not?

Quote:Original post by szecs
Thanks for that, I'm using C++, so I'll try to look into the problem!

Who says it's a problem? Many applications use .NET. Please don't quote me saying .NET is a problem! I simply don't have it installed on this 8 year old WinXP computer, so I can't run .NET apps, that's all.

I must say I'm surprised by the combination of OpenGL and .NET though. Microsoft tries pushing .NET, but they also try pushing Direct3D instead of OpenGL, so I don't think having OpenGL in a .NET application would happen automatically :)
The GUI is event based. But I don't know how it is usually done, I didn't read articles (I am a pervert, who wants do do everything by himself).
It can easily be modified to a "game-loop" version, it doesn't really matter.

Okay, I won't bother with the .NET stuff, but it's just a minesweeper, it should run on win98 too...
Quote:so I don't think having OpenGL in a .NET application would happen automatically
I don't even know how to setup a project properly. I made it from existing file, so the whole stuff is a bloody mess. I found a "targeted framework" option, but only .NET can be set (2.0 ... 3.5).

Doesn't matter, I should ask it in the technical forums.
Added dialogs at saving or deleting existing files, fixed positioning of GUI windows, when resizing the main window.

Please make suggestions on new features, critique the whole game and the graphical use interface (be harsh!), if you find a bug, please report it!

Thanks for your time!
If you are using VS 2008, right click on the project and go to properties. Then click on Configuration properties and under Project defaults there is something about Common Language Runtime support. Make sure it says no common language runtime support.

Quote:Original post by landagen
If you are using VS 2008, right click on the project and go to properties. Then click on Configuration properties and under Project defaults there is something about Common Language Runtime support. Make sure it says no common language runtime support.
Thanks for the tip. I did that and compiled, reloaded, I hope it works now without .NET

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement