90907 Teaches C++

Started by
3 comments, last by 90907 22 years, 9 months ago
I was using Mavis B Teaches Typing and I conjured up a cool (IMO) idea. I was thinking couldn''t C++ be tought in the same way. If I was to make the software it would come with the executable CD-ROM and a book. The book would be divided into about 21 mid-sized lessons that go over a C++ topics. At the end of each lesson there would be a few review questions and then a CD-ROM excersize where you would practice typing in key phrased and commands (ex. int would come on the screen and you would type it in for practice - Mavis B. Style). After you type the phrase the program would quickly state information in a Child Window about what the phrase you just typed means (ex. the prg instructs you to type "int" you type it in and then a window pops up and says "int: a data type that ....." you move on to the next phrase). eventually the student would move into move advanced topics which require the typing a lines of code. First the prg would tell the sudent what the hell he''s typing in (ex. Like you''ve read in the book this is how you allocate dynamic memory " the prg instructs the student to type "Class *variable = new Class;" after typing it the prgm would go over what the "new" command does (as the student already learned in the book) and whatever else. Soon the student may be instructed to type whole pages and the prgm would go through it with him/her. In addition the program would tell the student to do something like write a simple control structure (" write a counter ") and then analyze your code and point out syntax errors and other bugs. This would all be done with a lots of graphic visuals, audio ( this is how you pronouce "const int const * - a constant pointer to a constant integer") and other fun easy to learn implementations. COOL huh!
Advertisement
If it was put together well, I think a tutorial program of that kind would be very helpful. It would be a good way to learn C++ concepts without having to learn your compiler first (which can be difficult when you are starting.)

You would really only want to cover the basics in such a manner, because that knowledge is applicable to whatever you do later.

From the beginning, it would be important to teach how to use information from various sources and SDK docs, so that the user can get used to the idea that that''s how everybody gets there info. More advanced topics in the program should probably focus heavily on this idea. To prevent the user from getting stuck, and unable to solve a particular problem, they should be able to click on something that will again step them through the process.

In essence, it is a good idea. Would take some careful planning, but could be done with relative ease.
Before someone dumps it in your lap cynically, I think I should give you a more level warning: there are such programs. They are all purchaseable and I don''t think they are too popular. No more popular than the 24h books, anyway.

VK
Before someone dumps it in your lap cynically, I think I should give you a more level warning: there are such programs. They are all purchaseable and I don''t think they are too popular. No more popular than the 24h books, anyway.

VK
My school has really good C++ books found here at Amazon

Highly recommend it for newbies.

Each chapter would cover an amount of code that could be used independently and dependently on previous chapters. There were a few prewritten demos but at the end it would just say "do such and such" with no specifics on how to do it.

Programming is learned by experiementation and I don't think you could pull that off with a CD-ROM. I think a CD-ROM would give someone the impression that you have to code a certain way or it's not right. Maybe that's just me.

Ben

Icarus Independent

Jump Down The Rabbithole

Edited by - KalvinB on August 6, 2001 3:01:44 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement