[Lebanon] Breaking in from a Distance

Started by
1 comment, last by way2lazy2care 14 years, 1 month ago
I have been in the web development industry for a bit more than a year now. - have a mechanical engineering degree from a local university here in Lebanon. - built myself a little experimentation place on the side and blogging about it: Blog - did some work towards polygon collision detection, rigid body simulation, solved and derived my own joint constraints, - also did some minor work with the graphic API's (DX, OGL) but only to miniscule degree. - recently grown what approximates a testicle and have the courage to do what it takes to actually try and actively break in to the games industry. For someone who wants to work as graphics and physics programmer in a decent video game company, what qualifies as a good portfolio? Do they allow me to grow the other expertise that I should acquire there or I should be all ready before even considering applying? How is experience in OO Actionscript seen in the industry, kiddie stuff? This post may have an effect on the way I will be dealing with the future, and I am only attempting a go at it because I don't have any insight at how things go in the upper leagues. All help is much appreciated [Edited by - arithma on April 6, 2010 2:37:32 AM]
[ my blog ]
Advertisement
An overseas employer (in any country with work visa requirements) is unlikely to be able to hire you on the basis that you may later develop the necessary skills. There will be many many local applicants who could fill any such position so it is very unlikely that you would manage to secure a visa. Also, while web development experience would be fine if applying for a web developer job, it is unlikely to be seen as relevant experience for a game developer (unless you were specifically developing web based games). You would dramatically improve your chances if you were to secure a game development job locally. If (as I suspect) there are no game development jobs in the Lebanon, then getting a graphics related programming job in business programming would be the next best way to develop the necessary skills.

An alternative to the above may be to find a "stepping stone" country; one which has lower visa requirements and a greater need for graphics related programmers (either entertainment or business focused). Again, you will almost certainly need to demonstrate that you have the necessary skills, but if you can do that they you could move there, gain work experience, then make a move to your final destination of choice when you meet the necessary visa requirements.

Lastly (finances permitting) you might be able to take a BA/MA course in the North America/Europe and while there develop your skills and work hard to meet/network with local developers, in the hope that upon graduation you can secure a position there.

No easy way to break in but if you keep at it and work hard you may attain your goal. Good luck.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Quote:Original post by arithma
I have been in the web development industry for a bit more than a year now.
- have a mechanical engineering degree from a local university here in Lebanon.
- built myself a little experimentation place on the side and blogging about it: Blog
- did some work towards polygon collision detection, rigid body simulation, solved and derived my own joint constraints,
- also did some minor work with the graphic API's (DX, OGL) but only to miniscule degree.
- recently grown what approximates a testicle and have the courage to do what it takes to actually try and actively break in to the games industry.

For someone who wants to work as graphics and physics programmer in a decent video game company, what qualifies as a good portfolio? Do they allow me to grow the other expertise that I should acquire there or I should be all ready before even considering applying?

How is experience in OO Actionscript seen in the industry, kiddie stuff?

This post may have an effect on the way I will be dealing with the future, and I am only attempting a go at it because I don't have any insight at how things go in the upper leagues.

All help is much appreciated

don't underestimate indie development. If you can put something like an IGF nomination on your resume you'll have that much more going for you.

I think the hardest part right now is that there is a huge waiting list for visas in most of the game hubs. It's hard to justify paying a hefty sum for a visa for a junior programmer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement