Ad revenue on a google site

Started by
5 comments, last by warhound 14 years ago
So I've just started a new google site, and am hoping to get some money from it using the monetize option. In order to attract viewers, I planned on posting free 3D models, actual code and concepts that can be used in games(such as scripts for a physics system, etc.), and games that me and my rather small team have made for free. Will all of this turn out good revenue?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Advertisement
That depends on what you consider "good". Assuming the site manages to get a $1 CPM on its ads, that would mean you would make $1 per every thousand visitors your site gets. Extrapolating, you would need 300,000 visitors to make $300.
Good would be something above $100 per month?

If you want to get money from a site then I would suggest that you buy your own catchy domain name, create a very professional design thats very aesthetically pleasing and create great content. Then you should submit your games/posts to places like reddit, digg, technorati, to help you get traffic.

But ideally you should focus on ranking high for certain keywords which are relevant to your niche. So maybe keywords like "Game Programming Tutorials" and things like that, build links with said anchor text and you should start to see your site rank higher and higher for that keyword. Rinse and repeat with numerous keywords all incredibly relevant to your site and your should start to see thousands of visitors.

Then once you get a fan base, I would then place ads appropriately on your site, Don't make them too intrusive and detract from any content the site has to offer. And don't bombard your site design with ads. Make them noticeable enough that visitors will click them.

The average rate of income these days for ads can be anywhere from $0.1 to around $1.5, although if you get a very high traffic quality site you can sign up for things like tribal fusion which can generate far higher revenues.

All in all to make $100 a month you would need roughly 10,000,000 ad impressions assuming $0.1 cpm. Its a challenge and it takes months, if not years to generate any sort of real income. But if you keep working at it the money you earn will eventually go up :)

Game Development Tutorials - My new site that tries to teach LWJGL 3.0 and OpenGL to anyone willing to learn a little.

Ok, so I need the fan base first, then I go for the ads. Cool, this seems possibly doable...

Just don't give up! And keep giving visitors a reason to come back regularly :)

Hope I helped you in some way :)

Game Development Tutorials - My new site that tries to teach LWJGL 3.0 and OpenGL to anyone willing to learn a little.

Yes, your posts were very helpful. I now know which way to go for my site. Thanks for your help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement