Writing Games

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 14 years ago
Im new to Game Design. Im enterested in writing game ideas any tips on how to get into writing games, also is Unity 3d a good software to start off with. For game design
Advertisement
Hello Jwhitethegamer,

a good starting point for writing game designd is here:

http://www.sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm

Unity3D is usefull for programming games not writing design documents.

Do you plan to design a game only or to implement it too?

--GWDev
I would like to do both design and write but im leaning more towards a writer but i want learn designing as well. But people keep saying learn coding and C++
You should do what YOU want. If you like to think up ideas and write game stories you should do that.
You could start small and write some simple (testbased) games in some language. Just to find out if it interests you. Better start with java or c# and not C++ as it tends to overhelm beginners.
Quote:Original post by Jwhitethegamer
1. I would like to do both design and write but im leaning more towards a writer
2. but i want learn designing as well.
3. But people keep saying learn coding and C++

1. If you want to learn about writing for games, you should start reading the posts and FAQs in the Writing forum.

2. If you want to learn about game design, you should start reading the posts and FAQs in the Game Design forum.

3. You don't really need to be a programmer to write for games, or to design games. A lot of people who come here ask about "designing games" but they don't even know what the term means, so they really mean programming, so everybody's used to just telling them the programming answer.
There's a lot more to it than that, but since you're brand new here, before you go asking more questions, you should spend some time reading. Get the lay of the land. Start by making an effort to learn. You have time.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement