Taskbar in Fullscreen Mode

Started by
6 comments, last by sinistrx 22 years, 8 months ago
Would anyone know, using the Nehe Basecode, how to make a fullscreen window using the current screen resolution that would not hide the task bar? Even in fullscreen mode you can hit the windows keys and the taskbar will be brought up but it goes away as soon as you click out of the taskbar area. I know this is a more windows related questions but I have looked all over God''s green earth and have found nothing even looking for hours through VC help files and MSDN. HELP PLEASE! Also if anyone knows how to get the current screen resolution and store it so that when I create this window it won''t change resolution on me that would help greatly. I''m trying to make a program to replace the windows wallpaper with an OpenGL context (if you''ve seen Dreamrender I''m looking to do a similar concept just faster in OpenGL and to my own purposes) with no borders so I can have a cool animation going on in the background and I know this will work at full framerate (I''ll have to make up my own routines for getting desktop icons displayed and I want to also get rect sizes for any onscreen windows so I can do dropshadow routines for them in ortho mode).
Advertisement
Well if you didn''t know, CDS_FULLSCREEN is what gets rid of the taskbar. the easiest way to not have the fullscreen problem would be to just get rid of the f1 keypress (if you''re using NeHe''s tutorial), then get rid of the pop up that askes if you want to run in fullscreen, then you can just click the "Maximize" button. that would be a long, but easy way. But if you know something else use that. To make a long story short, it will only get rid of the taskbar if you press F1, so just run in windowed mode, then maxamize.

_BUSTER_

www.crosswinds.net/~dotspot

http://www.theatermonkey.com

easy enough, now how can I get rid of the borders/controls/titlebar for windowed mode windows? I want to make this so it doesn''t appear as a regular window but instead appears like it is the windows wallpaper.
Have a look in the platform SDK docs for CreateWindow and the flags that go with it (WS_*). They are pretty self explanatory.

Also, can you please delete your duplicate post? Thanks.

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL
~~~Cheers!Brett PorterPortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGLCommunity Service Announcement: Read How to ask questions the smart way before posting!
That duplicate was on accident and I tried to delete it afterwards but I don''t have permissions to. I have looked through the VC6 help (which I''ve got the 2 CD MSDN help collection as well and under window styles (regular or extended) it says nothing to the effect of a style without a titlebar or borders. It gives plenty though of different titlebar/control options as well as parent/child but the closest thing I can do right to compensate is have my window display a little larger than screen res and offset it so that the borders don''t show but I know this is inefficient. I''m also looking to find out too if there is a possible way to go through the list of programs that show on the taskbar and do a check to see if they or maximized or minimized, if they are not then keep them in front of the window I''m working with but without being active (that way I can make my program treat itself like its own desktop).
Brett, thanks for remembering the context of what I was trying to say earler (even if it was in the other topic...)

In the CreateWindow() function that you're using to create the window, you will add the following to the 3rd parameter into the function:

whatever_is_already_there | WS_MAXIMIZE

That should at least start you on your way there.

~ Dragonus

Edited by - Dragonus on August 9, 2001 10:51:04 AM
I believe that the style you are looking for is a popup window specified by WS_POPUP, and make sure that you do not specify WS_BORDER, WS_CAPTION, or WS_SYSMENU, that way you should have a window with no border, no caption bar, and no system menu. Like Dragonus said, if you include WS_MAXIMIZE the window will start out maximized.

J.W.
Well, that still left a nasty little windows gui small 3d border around the edges of the window but cosmetically I''ve done what I need to to get it working right the way I want it (except the program crashes upon changing video modes but that may just be my card). Now onto the bigger and heavier questions, like 1) need to figure out how to grab all of the desktop''s shortcuts and redraw them in the scene (with a cool little dropshadow effect I''ll make) so that when doubleclicked it''ll open up that program. And the biggest 1 is 2) How to go through and see what all programs are on the taskbar and check to make sure they aren''t minimized or maximized, then grab the window positions and sizes to draw dropshadows for each one as well as overriding the WINDOWS+D (show desktop) key to instead of showing the original desktop and minimizing my program go back through the rest of the taskbar tasks and minimize those except for my program and then follow the same process to restore them. These are all win32 questions but I''m looking and not finding much help at all, if y''all know of any cool links let me know as I''m making big progress on the program I''ve been dreaming of making for months now (it''ll be good enough to rival Dreamrender when it''s done because it''s OGL, fast, and will be GPL).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement