GNU/Linux Distributions

Started by
9 comments, last by Kambiz 14 years ago
What would be considered the best GNU/Linux distribution for a programmer looking to branch out? There are just too many different distributions.
Advertisement
Most distributions are ok for programers, all of them have the compilers you need. You just need to choose the right editor/IDE, just download some from the sofrware center and keep what you like.

Zenwalk or Slackware might be worth a look as they have some extra tools installed (especially Zenwalk), but don't bother if you are new to linux, get ubuntu.

This might help you in choosing the right distro.

edit: link fixed
another edit: After some googling, οpenSUSE seems to be trying to "Dramatically simplify and open the development and packaging processes to make openSUSE the platform of choice for Linux hackers and application developers. "
If you have never used Linux before I would suggest Ubuntu or Mint(based on Ubuntu ). As they tend to be geared towards people new to Linux.
Yup that's what i thought. Going with Ubuntu... for now. Thx!
One other thing, you might want to take a look at some screenshots, see if you'd prefer GNOME or KDE. You can install both environments but I find Ubuntu is far cleaner and snappier when you stick to GTK+ applications. Other distros like openSUSE have more experience with having both installed.

I'm a GNOME user but I also prefer command line tools. Arguably KDE/Qt has better GUI tools, including Qt Creator, Kdevelop 4 which just went stable, Kcachegrind, etc.
Quote:Original post by 00chris00
Most distributions are ok for programers, all of them have the compilers you need. You just need to choose the right editor/IDE, just download some from the sofrware center and keep what you like.

Zenwalk or Slackware might be worth a look as they have some extra tools installed (especially Zenwalk), but don't bother if you are new to linux, get ubuntu.

This might help you in choosing the right distro.

edit: link fixed
another edit: After some googling, οpenSUSE seems to be trying to "Dramatically simplify and open the development and packaging processes to make openSUSE the platform of choice for Linux hackers and application developers. "

Yeah I'd recommend openSuse over Ubuntu especially if got bandwidth.
Default Ubuntu doesn't even come with gcc compiler installed :(
openSuse even includes Mono in latest distro last time I checked
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by daviangelDefault Ubuntu doesn't even come with gcc compiler installed :(

:o Seriously? It can be easily installed though:
$sudo apt-get install gcc build-essential

Never tried OpenSUSE, looks like a good distro to start with as a programer.
Quote:Original post by daviangelDefault Ubuntu doesn't even come with gcc compiler installed :(

It may be easy enough for someone that already know Linux but you really think someone new is going to have a clue type all that let alone know what it all means?
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by daviangel
It may be easy enough for someone that already know Linux but you really think someone new is going to have a clue type all that let alone know what it all means?

On Ubuntu, you just hover the little mouse-thing over the Applications menu until it drops down, move the mouse-thing down to "Ubuntu Software Center", select "Programming", then click on, say, "Qt Creator." Everything you need will be installed and just work.

Compare and contrast that with, say, Microsft Windows. It does not come with a compiler. Finding the compiler is impossible, although you can find an "IDE" that will also install a compiler but is not useful unless you install an "SDK" and run some program to link the "SDK" to the "IDE". Gosh, why can't Linux be more like Windows?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

I think the point of not including the compiler is that they want to push developer into packaging their software instead of only releasing sourcecode. (Having to compile software yourself isn't something ordinary users want to do)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement