Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Dx11 on Geforce 6600

Started by boboS May 6, 2010 at 11:51 AM 4 replies 3.6k views
Original Post
boboS
boboS
I'm using DirectX 11 with 9.3 hardware level for my geforce 6600; The problem is that I cant create tthe depth buffer. I've tryed almost all the formats but no luck. Any idea ?

        D3D11_TEXTURE2D_DESC depthBufferDesc;
	depthBufferDesc.Width = 640;
	depthBufferDesc.Height = 480;
	depthBufferDesc.MipLevels = 1;
	depthBufferDesc.ArraySize = 1;
	depthBufferDesc.Format =  DXGI_FORMAT_B8G8R8A8_UNORM;
	depthBufferDesc.SampleDesc.Count = 1;
	depthBufferDesc.SampleDesc.Quality = 0;
	depthBufferDesc.Usage = D3D11_USAGE_DEFAULT;
	depthBufferDesc.BindFlags = D3D11_BIND_DEPTH_STENCIL;
	depthBufferDesc.CPUAccessFlags = 0;
	depthBufferDesc.MiscFlags = 0;

	if(FAILED(pD3DDevice->CreateTexture2D(&depthBufferDesc, NULL, &pDepthStencil )))
	{
		MessageBox(hwnd,"Failed to Create Depth Texture","",MB_ICONERROR);
		return;
	}


I get the "Failed to Create Depth Texture"; PS: Works on a Dx10 compatible video card (radeon HD 3650).
Mike.Popoloski
Mike.Popoloski
Why are you trying to create a depth buffer with color components and no depth components? Where is the depth information going to be stored?
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Moe
Moe
Does the Geforce 6600 even support DirectX 11? I thought only the latest cards from ATi (5xxx series) and NVidia (4xx series) supported DirectX 11.
Mike.Popoloski
Mike.Popoloski
Quote:
Original post by Moe
Does the Geforce 6600 even support DirectX 11? I thought only the latest cards from ATi (5xxx series) and NVidia (4xx series) supported DirectX 11.


Direct3D 11 runs on downlevel hardware. In his post he mentions that he's using the 9.3 feature level.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Xeile
Xeile
As Mike hinted in his first reply, you should use a different format for the depth buffer. Try replacing it with one of the following:

// Without stencil bufferdepthBufferDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_D16_UNORM;depthBufferDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_D32_FLOAT;// With stencil bufferdepthBufferDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_D24_UNORM_S8_UINT;depthBufferDesc.Format = DXGI_FORMAT_D32_FLOAT_S8X24_UINT;
Moe
Moe
Quote:
Original post by Mike.Popoloski
Quote:
Original post by Moe
Does the Geforce 6600 even support DirectX 11? I thought only the latest cards from ATi (5xxx series) and NVidia (4xx series) supported DirectX 11.


Direct3D 11 runs on downlevel hardware. In his post he mentions that he's using the 9.3 feature level.

Interesting. I guess it has been some time since I have done any real Direct X programming.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.