New Deus Ex 3 Trailer Out, Wins the Internets

Started by
31 comments, last by Antheus 13 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by nilkn
But as for just totally screwing it up like they did with the second--this is beyond my understanding, unless the changes were forced on them by some business executives having control over the project who thought they would make more money by dabbling in things they don't understand.

Yep, this is exactly how things work. These executives (or strategic business development, as it is called) know a great deal - about making money. And that's what modern AAA games are all about. Nobody really cares about the artistic experience, immersiveness of the storyline and general excellence of a game. As in any big business sector, it's all about the bottom line.

Dumbing down games widens the available target audience and increases market penetration. If consumer testing reveals that x% more revenue can be generated by making a game (or any product really) idiot compatible (ie. number of sales gained by new idiots > number of lost sales by disappointed veterans) then it will be done. 'Dumb' games are also less expensive to manufacture than more complex games.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Mathmo
@owl: don't bother. If you loved the first, the second will make you cry. It was a travesty. I'm gonna make sure I have the hardware to make the third sing, and pray that it is the game that Invisible War should have been...

Deus Ex: Invisible War was amazing - and I played it for the first time last year, 6 years after it was released, and it still was a really enjoyable experience.

People hated it, because they made some major changes from the first Deus Ex - but it is still by and large, an amazing game that stands above many other first-person games. If you feel it fails at being a Deus Ex sequel, then don't think of it as Deus Ex, but just a majorely awesome, albiet different, game that happens to be set in the same universe. [smile]
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
Quote:Original post by Mathmo
@owl: don't bother. If you loved the first, the second will make you cry. It was a travesty. I'm gonna make sure I have the hardware to make the third sing, and pray that it is the game that Invisible War should have been...

Deus Ex: Invisible War was amazing - and I played it for the first time last year, 6 years after it was released, and it still was a really enjoyable experience.

People hated it, because they made some major changes from the first Deus Ex - but it is still by and large, an amazing game that stands above many other first-person games. If you feel it fails at being a Deus Ex sequel, then don't think of it as Deus Ex, but just a majorely awesome, albiet different, game that happens to be set in the same universe. [smile]

I wouldn't call it amazing but I did play through it a couple times myself. You are right that it gets a much worse rep than it deserves.

It's quite like what Ubisoft did with the Might and Magic series when they made Dark Messiah. (Actually, now that I think about it, it plays quite similar to Invisible War...)
Quote:Original post by HelplessFool
It's quite like what Ubisoft did with the Might and Magic series when they made Dark Messiah.
Awesome game. I wish more games were like that.

hmm maybe I'll install Deus Ex 2 and give it another try. Oddly enough I have two copies of it. I bought it the day it came out and then like a few months later when I bought a new graphics card it came with a copy. :P
I consider Deus Ex to be one of the best games ever made and I went back to try and play it again not too long ago. God damn, the first couple hours of that game are freaking terrible. Honestly, inferior as it may be overall, Invisible War holds up a lot better in terms of playability. It's much easier to get into and you don't have to micromanage as much pointless crap for no reason.

Which is not to say IW is better... just that it's not without merit. Old PC gamers are too quick to assume that cumbersome = better. IW didn't fail because of streamlining; IW failed because they ruined the level design since they couldn't do anything decent in the Xbox's pitiful amount of RAM with the graphic quality they were shooting for. That was a stupid design decision. A lot of their other decisions were actually pretty nice, but it was hard to tell because of the lackluster levels.

Regenerating health is not necessarily dumb. It certainly can be used that way, and probably will, but it's unwise to blame the mechanic for bad designers. Regenerating life is a great way to enable the level designers to make more interesting encounters and not burden the player with having to run around searching for health packs all the time and not risk having the player get completely stuck because they ran out.

If you blindly think regen is bad you're just being old. Kids these days! In my day I had to walk five miles to find a health pack in the snow with no shoes and I damn well enjoyed it.

Biggest thing I missed in IW that I know is never coming back and it makes me tremendously sad: Getting XP for finding secret areas. It was a great mechanic that encouraged and rewarded exploration and thoroughness. I wish someone else would use it again one day.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
A representative of Eidos has claimed that almost everything we see in the trailer except animation and rendering is the dev team's own handiwork -- the script, overall atmosphere, visual style, assets. So some cautious optimism may be warranted. But we'll get a look at the gameplay soon enough.
funnily enough I dont think ive ever been trapped because I had too low health to continue. And I always play on hardest mode. If it ever gets a bit risky it just raises my pulse.

There is a tingly sensation you get when you enter a room filled with health, ammo and armor, you just think to yourself "big fight coming up, can't wait, lock and load", you don't get that these days.
Quote:Original post by RivieraKid
There is a tingly sensation you get when you enter a room filled with health, ammo and armor, you just think to yourself "big fight coming up, can't wait, lock and load", you don't get that these days.

I dunno. That kinda takes me out of the game when I see something like that. It just never seems to fit and ruins my suspension of disbelief. I'd rather big fights just happen than have something in the game go "HAY! BIG FIGHT'S GONNA HAPPEN THROUGH THAT DOOR! luckily all the bad guys left all these weapons and health here for you to kill them with."
Quote:Original post by LockePick
I consider Deus Ex to be one of the best games ever made and I went back to try and play it again not too long ago. God damn, the first couple hours of that game are freaking terrible. ... micromanage as much pointless crap for no reason.

Exactly. I never played it originally but a lot of praise drew me to it last year. After playing it for an hour, I just don't see the appeal.
I just actually watched the trailer and if it's indicative of gameplay--this is SquareEnix, so who knows?--then I guess Deus Ex is now going to be a superhero franchise.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement