RPG Stat System - Wanting Some Feedback.

Started by
11 comments, last by MrBlu 13 years, 9 months ago
Quote:I was wanting to go with something simple like 12 skill points to divvy amongst the 9 stats. You could specialize and put all 12 into one skill, or balance for more hybrid builds.

I think using this system here will automatically bias your system towards specialization because reaching the pinnacle i.e going from 11 to 12 in one skill is just as easy as going from 0 to 1 in another. It just costs one point.

Two counter this you will need to make it harder to become the 'best' in any given area. There are two ways to do this.

a) space out the abilities each skill provides so that there are lots of good abilities at the lower levels but they come farther apart near the top! For example you start out providing special abilities at each level i.e. 1, 2, 3 but at the high levels provide abilities only at level 8 and 12. Thus to get the best ability at level 12 you must spend more points.

b) use a different point system (as doomhascome suggested). For example, you have 78 (=1+2+3+...+12) points to spend. To raise a skill you must spend the same number of points as the level. Thus you spend 1 point to go from 0 to 1. However you must spend 12 points to go from 11 to 12. With 78 points you can max out one skill at 12 or you can spread out your points to mid-range in many different skills.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by MrBlu
How does the stats look now?

| Body
- Agile - ASPD, Evasion, Ranged Attack
- Strong - Melee, Attack, Health (HP), Block
- Tough - Health (HP), Defense, Health Regen
| Mind
- Focused - Hit, Ranged Attack, Attack, Casting Speed
- Intelligent - Energy Power, Energy (EP), Casting Speed
- Wise - Energy Power, Energy (EP), Energy Regen
| Soul
- Spirited - Health Regen, Energy Regen, Grace Regen
- Blessed - Grace Power, Grace (GP), Hit
- Graceful - Grace Power, Grace (GP), Evasion

Looking at this from a player's point of view, my gut reaction is that many of them look rather too dumpable. (this may be wrong of course - without knowing more about the mechanics, it's impossible to say for sure)

If I wanted to create a warrior build, it seems almost like a no-brainer to dump most of the Mind and Soul stats, with the sole exception of "Focused", and stick the vast majority of my points in the Body stats. While "Graceful" and "Blessed" do contribute to combat related abilities, I see no reason why a warrior would choose these over Focused and Agility, which are significantly more relevant. The same issue may apply in reverse to casters.

With this in mind, it may be worth thinking about your classes at the same time - ultimately, every stat should be worth *something* to every class.
Great. So definitely going to go with an increasing point cost. And yeah classes and their skills will shape which skills you should go for. :D But yes, there are some stats that could effect certain skills more. Like say a tank going for Regen in Spirited. Thanks for the Feedback Guys :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement