• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Antonym

A simple textbox

This topic is 2999 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I am writing a tetris and I am about done, last thing missing is a textbox for the player to type in his or her name.

I've read writing a general purpose textbox can be hell, I am thinking about using a library, though I am not sure which one to pick, don't want to blow things out of proportion.

I want to keep things as simple as possible, any ideas about what would be the simplest/quickest solution?

It's being developed in c++ with openGL and SFML. I am trying to keep things portable though I am willing to make sacrifices.

Any info is much appreciated.

Advertisement
If you just want to read a string of text, it might be simpler to read the characters directly using events.

Each time you detect a keypress that's a character, you append the character to a string. When you detect that Enter was pressed (or something similar), you know you've read the full name.

A google search for "sfml gui" also gave this, which might be useful to you.

Thanks for the reply.

One feature I would like the text box to have is being able to delete text, guess this can be accomplished manually with SFML's Key Pressed too though.

You can detect that a backspace is being pressed, and then remove the last character from the string.

Yeah that's what I meant.

For future reference, what would be a good option if I wanted a fully functional text box?

Edit: Just noticed that it gets buggy if I click non-character keys :S.

Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!