D3D9 and Sprites

Started by
4 comments, last by Evil Steve 13 years, 10 months ago
For some reson, im not getting my sprite on my screen :/. I got no errors, the sprite just doesnt want to draw, all I got is a white background (buffer fill color).

This my code:

LPD3DXSPRITE m_pD3DSprite;
D3DXCreateSprite(m_pD3DDevice, &m_pD3DSprite);

D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(
g_pD3D->m_pD3DDevice,
L"F:\\Orb\\Bin\\win32\\sprite.tga",
D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DX_DEFAULT,
NULL,
D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8,
D3DPOOL_MANAGED,
D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DCOLOR_XRGB(255, 0, 255),
NULL,
NULL,
&testSprite);

Then my drawing goes like:

m_pD3DSprite->Begin(D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND);

D3DXVECTOR3 center(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
D3DXVECTOR3 position(50.0f, 50.0f, 0.0f);
g_pD3D->m_pD3DSprite->Draw(g_pRP->testSprite, NULL, &center, &position, D3DCOLOR_ARGB(255, 255, 255, 255));

m_pD3DSprite->End();

I could show full code if you need it, but this is all regarding the sprite drawing. First I thought that the sprite might be away from the camera, but that cant be the problem because sprites get drawn on the screen. So I have no idea what its not showing up...
Advertisement
Make sure it's loaded the texture correctly as that could cause problems. It could also be a culling issue. Disable back face culling and see if that fixes it.
It's not a bug... it's a feature!
You're not checking the return value for any of those function calls, which means they could be failing. You can use the FAILED macro for that, and then use the error-handling library to get the actual error. You can also enable the debug runtimes for additional information.

Also, if you want to post source code here you can use the "code" or "source" tags. See the FAQ.
@Dom_152 My backface culling is disabled:
m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_CULLMODE, D3DCULL_NONE );

@MJP I just used DXGetErrorDescription on all my Sprite relavent functions.
All said the same thing, the function was succesfull or something like that.

Edit:
Could one of my renderstates be the problem?

// Chris; Setup the device states	m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ZENABLE, TRUE );	m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_CULLMODE, D3DCULL_NONE );	// Chris; Ambient Color and Lighting	m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_LIGHTING, TRUE );	m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_AMBIENT, D3DCOLOR_XRGB( 100, 100, 100 ) );	ZeroMemory( &light, sizeof( light ) );    light.Type = D3DLIGHT_DIRECTIONAL;    light.Diffuse = D3DXCOLOR( 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f );    light.Direction = D3DXVECTOR3( -1.0f, -0.5f, -1.0f );	m_pD3DDevice->SetLight(0, &light);	m_pD3DDevice->LightEnable(0, TRUE);	//Chris; Anti Aliasing	m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_MULTISAMPLEANTIALIAS, TRUE );	//Chris; Texture sampling    m_pD3DDevice->SetSamplerState( 0, D3DSAMP_MAXANISOTROPY, 8 );    m_pD3DDevice->SetSamplerState( 0, D3DSAMP_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_ANISOTROPIC );	    m_pD3DDevice->SetSamplerState( 0, D3DSAMP_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR );    m_pD3DDevice->SetSamplerState( 0, D3DSAMP_MIPFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR );	// Chris; Useing AlphaTest for alpha, AlphaBlend wont work properly for some reson	m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ALPHATESTENABLE, TRUE );	m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ALPHAFUNC, D3DCMP_GREATEREQUAL );	m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ALPHAREF, (DWORD)1 );
Ok I take that back, it is rendering, but its huge, and not in place, and its almost as if it was in 3D space and the coords apply to that and not to my monitor. I thought 2D sprites are suppose to be on screen coords. If I move my camera back I can see it. Its also effected by FOV and stuff like that o.O.

So basicly if I remove my camera, it works fine... but that cant be it >.<. Im trying to make an interface...

Could it be that I have to render the camera after the interface code?

[Edited by - Tingle on July 12, 2010 1:24:37 PM]
Quote:Original post by Tingle
Ok I take that back, it is rendering, but its huge, and not in place, and its almost as if it was in 3D space and the coords apply to that and not to my monitor. I thought 2D sprites are suppose to be on screen coords. If I move my camera back I can see it. Its also effected by FOV and stuff like that o.O.

So basicly if I remove my camera, it works fine... but that cant be it >.<. Im trying to make an interface...

Could it be that I have to render the camera after the interface code?
Calling ID3DXSprite::Begin() will set up the device state for sprite rendering, so you shouldn't be changing any render states or transforms between the Begin() and End() call, unless you especially want to change the default rendering behaviour.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement