Pitfalls to VS2010?

Started by
17 comments, last by davepermen 13 years, 9 months ago
I just ordered my copy of VS2010 Pro the other day and I will be getting it next week, my question is should I expect any pitfalls going from VS2008 Pro -> VS2010 Pro? I guess not so much pitfalls, but major changes that might affect previous libraries for gaming/other, SDL, SFML, PhysFS, boost, Box2D, etc... I had no real reason to upgrade, except I like to stay up on times with technology and the latest software even though I love how VS2008 worked for me. I heard they are supposed to have intellisense for C++ now is that true so I don't have to have VisualX installed? I think that is all my questions any kind of information is appreciated, it is MS so I really don't expect it to be too different.
Advertisement
You will probably still need VAX as visual studio 2010 doesn't autocomplete stuff as you type.
C++ has had Intellesense for a long time, however the design of C# makes it much easier to dynamically compile for feature such as auto-complete. Supposedly Intellesense for C++ was rewritten for VS2010 and should work a lot better, however it'll likely never be as featureful as the C# Intellesense due to the complex nature of C++.

The largest pitfall you are likely to encounter with VS2010 is that a lot of addins may not be updated to work with it yet, and since many larger development companies will be sticking with earlier versions a lot of addins will be focusing on supporting them and VS2010 support may be slow coming.
Shoot Pixels Not People
Well, if you ordered a paid version of Visual Studio 2010, I certainly hope that it gives you a better impression then I got!

I ended up downgrading back to Visual Studio 2008 because of the changes to the help system. See, they completely took out the Dynamic Help panel, and instead of the old MSDN system, it is now a bunch of HTML files that calls your web browser, which means no index where you start typing the first letters until it finds the entries.
So far everything is about what I expected, I don't use there help system so no worries there. I use Google for everything I need to know anyways. I am working on Ordering Visual Assist X for a student license since I am still in college and my old version doesn't support any more updates, just have to wait on the approval from Whole Tomato. Anyways thanks for the info guys, hopefully I don't notice things I cannot get over since I have been using VS2008 for a few years now, but going from VS2005 to VS2008 I didn't really notice anything different that made me want to go backwards that I can remember, so I am hoping that I don't get this and feel the need to go backwards, but at least ill have the newest VAX. Oh yea yes this is a paid version so... I better be satisfied with it, but I think the paid versions have more features, maybe in the free version you found it lacking something that is in the paid, that I don't know...yet!
They removed the EMACS mode. Sob. Schniffle.

I've had to remap all the keys I use that are emacsy and I type without thinking and cause conniptions. And still I don't have a kill-ring.

Oh, how I loathe Windows editor setups. Oh yeah, and the keyboard customise thing is a modal dialog. So I can't pop it up fiddle with a setting, try it and then fiddle some more because I have to keep closing and reopening it.

Shocking poor design there. Well. No. Not shocking really.

More sort of "expected given their history".
Quote:Original post by Bearhugger
Well, if you ordered a paid version of Visual Studio 2010, I certainly hope that it gives you a better impression then I got!

I ended up downgrading back to Visual Studio 2008 because of the changes to the help system. See, they completely took out the Dynamic Help panel, and instead of the old MSDN system, it is now a bunch of HTML files that calls your web browser, which means no index where you start typing the first letters until it finds the entries.

Yup if you don't have the fastest internet connection the new help system can be a real pain!
It's probably one of the biggest gripes I also have compared to VS2008 and it seems that I'm not alone:
Visual Studio 2010 offline help experience is inferior to the Visual Studio 2008 offline help experience
Other than that most of the major changes you need to look out for, like the MSBuild system, is all mentioned in the readme file.
Lastly, as with any new VS release you'll have to wait a while after release for official support for things like the Intel compiler, Peforce plugin, etc.

[Edited by - daviangel on July 16, 2010 3:27:00 PM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Couple of things I've noticed.

The help system, as others have mentioned, is shocking. It's quicker to type a query in google and click the result than have it find the answer on your own hard drive. Do yourself a favour and save over a gig by not installing that.

I've also had a problem closing VS2010 if I have the DirectX debug runtimes enabled. That could be just me.

Also, even with the new intellisense, if you have been using VAX before get it again. Can't live without it!

One last thing, it creates a lot more debug files. I compiled a small single file app in debug and got over 100meg of debug files!
I just upgraded to 2010 this week myself and, though I hate to say it about a new purchase of yours, I find it to be an almost strict DOWNgrade compared to 2008. I was totally unimpressed with the new intellisense, to the point where I just had to turn it off because it was putting red squiggles everywhere that it really should have been able to figure out. I have no idea what was supposed to be improved, because it certainly works no better (arguably actually worse) than it did in 2008, at least for my projects. Echoing others' suggestions that VAX is still almost a required purchase.

On the other hand, VAX gives you more than just improved intellisense. For me it would be worth the price of admission just for the more detailed syntax coloring and the acronym-completion (e.g. type "ods" to have it suggest "OutputDebugStream").

Since you're concerned with other libraries, 2010 breaks several boost libraries. You'll have to get the patched ones from its SVN repo if you want to use them. The prime example for me was the property_tree library, which I use a lot, is broken by 2010. SDL 1.3 development release works fine so far, and I can't speak to any of the other libraries you list.

As for the good points, it's let me start preliminary work on porting some cross-platform software to C++ 0x, now that both VC and GCC have experimental support for some features. Getting those rvalue references in everywhere I can :)
I just got my upgrade from VS2005, but I've been toying with it at work, so far the mayor pitfall I found is that VC++ directories are now set per project rather than global, which is good, but makes CMake choke when trying to find paths, I think there is a "default profile" for that, but I haven't looked hard enough for that.

It FINALLY includes the stdint.h and cstdint standard headers, so that's a very good thing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement