Help with Python on Ubuntu

Started by
9 comments, last by nobodynews 13 years, 9 months ago
This isn't exactly a development question. I am just having trouble installing Python-2.6 on my computer to run a game called Dungeon Hack. I'm using GNU Make to install everything and when I run Make it gives me an error message, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Here's the error I'm recieving: (Sorry, I'm not sure how to put this in a code-box thing.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
k@k-desktop:~/Documents/Python/Python-2.6$ make
running build
running build_ext
INFO: Can't locate Tcl/Tk libs and/or headers

Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
_bsddb _curses _curses_panel
_hashlib _sqlite3 _ssl
_tkinter bsddb185 bz2
dbm gdbm readline
sunaudiodev zlib
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name.

running build_scripts
k@k-desktop:~/Documents/Python/Python-2.6$
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How do I find the necessary bits? Otherwise, how do I maybe skip the error message or something to continue?

Contact me through e-mail: raze.4.life@hotmail.com or Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/r4z3 for any reason whatsoever. -- Raze
Advertisement
sudo apt-get install python2.6
Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry I'm so noobish.
Contact me through e-mail: raze.4.life@hotmail.com or Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/r4z3 for any reason whatsoever. -- Raze
Quote:Original post by Raze4Life
This isn't exactly a development question. I am just having trouble installing Python-2.6 on my computer to run a game called Dungeon Hack. I'm using GNU Make to install everything and when I run Make it gives me an error message, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Here's the error I'm recieving: (Sorry, I'm not sure how to put this in a code-box thing.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
k@k-desktop:~/Documents/Python/Python-2.6$ make
running build
running build_ext
INFO: Can't locate Tcl/Tk libs and/or headers

Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
_bsddb _curses _curses_panel
_hashlib _sqlite3 _ssl
_tkinter bsddb185 bz2
dbm gdbm readline
sunaudiodev zlib
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name.

running build_scripts
k@k-desktop:~/Documents/Python/Python-2.6$
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How do I find the necessary bits? Otherwise, how do I maybe skip the error message or something to continue?

as a rule of thumb, if you use Ubuntu, don't try to install software from source code packages, its NEVER needed for software that you are meant to use. If you can't install it using the software center (or apt-get/aptitude) try to locate a .deb installer (www.getdeb.net is a good source) (sourcecode exists for developers and users of unusual distributions, if the software doesn't have a .deb its not worth your trouble)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Try sudo apt-get update first.

apt-cache search python | grep python will give you a list of all packages with "python" in the package name. You might need to pipe the output into less if there is a lot.
Well, I've successfully installed all of the programs that were necessary for the game and it still only gives me a blank screen with a pointer when I run it.... So I guess it must just be some kind of hardware problem. I must be running under minimum specs. Bummer, but thanks for the help and advice!

Oh, and could anybody recommend any freeware or shareware RPGs? I'm looking for something akin to either Baulder's Gate series or Elder Scrolls series.
Any reasonably modern version of Ubuntu ships with Python 2.6 by default. What exactly makes you think that you need to build it or obtain it by any other means?
Quote:Original post by Windryder
Any reasonably modern version of Ubuntu ships with Python 2.6 by default. What exactly makes you think that you need to build it or obtain it my any other means?

It was listed in the necessary files for the game I was attempting to install. I just wanted to make sure I had it pretty much.
For installing software, you can use synaptic too (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager).
Ok, so some more noobish questions. Now that I know everything is installed properly I went and reinstalled the game I'm trying to get to work. I'm in the OGRE Engine Setup and it's giving me some drop down boxes. Could anybody tell me what they mean by FSAA? My options are 0, 2, 4, 6. And also what is RTT Preferred Mode? I have FBO, PBuffer, and Copy as options.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement