Original Post
Hi Everybody
I'm am currently working on some terrain rendering code.
Suffice to say it has a very heavy vertex shader.
So I'm keen to generate a grid primitive that has a very posttransform-cache-friendly layout.
Apparently Ignacio Castaño has written a nice article on the subject.
=> http://castano.ludicon.com/blog/2009/02/02/optimal-grid-rendering/
But the link is down!!! :(
Here are some posts that mention the link
=> http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=257252
=> http://home.comcast.net/~tom_forsyth/blog.wiki.html#[[Regular%20mesh%20vertex%20cache%20ordering]]
Now I know Tom Forsyth has written a tool to do auto vertex-optimization.
And there exist other algorithms out there.
But I need to generate these meshes dynamically at runtime, so the generation needs to be quick.
I'd rather somehow get the knowledge that Ignacio has written about and work on from there.
So does anyone know about this stuff?
Does anyone know what Ignacio Castaño wrote about in his blog entry?
Thanks heaps!
Ren
I'm am currently working on some terrain rendering code.
Suffice to say it has a very heavy vertex shader.
So I'm keen to generate a grid primitive that has a very posttransform-cache-friendly layout.
Apparently Ignacio Castaño has written a nice article on the subject.
=> http://castano.ludicon.com/blog/2009/02/02/optimal-grid-rendering/
But the link is down!!! :(
Here are some posts that mention the link
=> http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=257252
=> http://home.comcast.net/~tom_forsyth/blog.wiki.html#[[Regular%20mesh%20vertex%20cache%20ordering]]
Now I know Tom Forsyth has written a tool to do auto vertex-optimization.
And there exist other algorithms out there.
But I need to generate these meshes dynamically at runtime, so the generation needs to be quick.
I'd rather somehow get the knowledge that Ignacio has written about and work on from there.
So does anyone know about this stuff?
Does anyone know what Ignacio Castaño wrote about in his blog entry?
Thanks heaps!
Ren