Original Post
Interesting Concepts for Side-scroller Puzzles
Ok so basically the idea here is that sidescroller games are fairly awesome on their own but often I find that they are repeating them selfs far too much. Games like braid that bring a new dimension to the ideas presented by the basis of the genre are of course refreshing but this trend needs to continue if the standard market is to be kept interested in this fun fairly simple and fantastic medium of games.
Now of course the first point is that sidescrolling is a gameplay feature as much as it is a genre so it can of course be the basis for your game but if your game it to be loved, bought and followed by a cult (*cough* Braid *cough*) then it needs a plus one. It needs something else to bring to the player and something else to make them think.
And before a single one of you stands up and says
"Mario is just a sidescroller that one of the most loved games of all time, derp derp derp"
I would like to ask you to kindly allow me to finish as I was just going to say that yes Mario was just a sidescroller but Mario got there first and you didn't, so tough luck better luck next time go create your own genre if you want to be lazy about design features, though that would probably be even more work than just making an interesting sidescroller, Mario started the genre, or at least made it big but its our job to make it bigger if we just keep doing the same thing as them the whole time well get no where and in 10 years time all we will have to show for our troubles is a crap load of FPS game and a really nice looking Mario copy with about 10 billion levels (to be fair that would be pretty fun so go ahead.)
So onto the main point of this topic, I want you to all in the forums below discuss an interesting feature that could be added to a sidescrolling game and if you have the "know-how" even prototype it, and no I will not be trying to hide from the set task with the claim "Well I made the topic so I dont have to." because I will, the idea that I had for a sidescroller is...
Lucid
Lucid follows the mental and physical exploits of a child around the age of 8 who is socially unaccepted, he goes into a dream world through a box he keeps under his bed, in this dream world his imaginary friend Elle who takes the form of a pixie, Elle is basically the players mouse pointer and she has the ability to cut objects into shapes, the player must use this skill to solve puzzles throughout the game world using his environment and the hopefully powerful physics world around him.
Disclaimer:
I Wont steal your ideas, I have my own as can be read above, I plan to complete Lucid at some point or another and if you want to make it then please dont steal it from me (Im sure you can think of better games anyway so be creative.) just help me out I'd be happy to share the spoils heres a link to a recruitment page Link and please by all means post you witty, funny or fascinating ideas for sidescrollers below, who knows you might catch the eye of some genius who will give you a hand in making it a reality.
Ok so basically the idea here is that sidescroller games are fairly awesome on their own but often I find that they are repeating them selfs far too much. Games like braid that bring a new dimension to the ideas presented by the basis of the genre are of course refreshing but this trend needs to continue if the standard market is to be kept interested in this fun fairly simple and fantastic medium of games.
Now of course the first point is that sidescrolling is a gameplay feature as much as it is a genre so it can of course be the basis for your game but if your game it to be loved, bought and followed by a cult (*cough* Braid *cough*) then it needs a plus one. It needs something else to bring to the player and something else to make them think.
And before a single one of you stands up and says
"Mario is just a sidescroller that one of the most loved games of all time, derp derp derp"
I would like to ask you to kindly allow me to finish as I was just going to say that yes Mario was just a sidescroller but Mario got there first and you didn't, so tough luck better luck next time go create your own genre if you want to be lazy about design features, though that would probably be even more work than just making an interesting sidescroller, Mario started the genre, or at least made it big but its our job to make it bigger if we just keep doing the same thing as them the whole time well get no where and in 10 years time all we will have to show for our troubles is a crap load of FPS game and a really nice looking Mario copy with about 10 billion levels (to be fair that would be pretty fun so go ahead.)
So onto the main point of this topic, I want you to all in the forums below discuss an interesting feature that could be added to a sidescrolling game and if you have the "know-how" even prototype it, and no I will not be trying to hide from the set task with the claim "Well I made the topic so I dont have to." because I will, the idea that I had for a sidescroller is...
Lucid
Lucid follows the mental and physical exploits of a child around the age of 8 who is socially unaccepted, he goes into a dream world through a box he keeps under his bed, in this dream world his imaginary friend Elle who takes the form of a pixie, Elle is basically the players mouse pointer and she has the ability to cut objects into shapes, the player must use this skill to solve puzzles throughout the game world using his environment and the hopefully powerful physics world around him.
Disclaimer:
I Wont steal your ideas, I have my own as can be read above, I plan to complete Lucid at some point or another and if you want to make it then please dont steal it from me (Im sure you can think of better games anyway so be creative.) just help me out I'd be happy to share the spoils heres a link to a recruitment page Link and please by all means post you witty, funny or fascinating ideas for sidescrollers below, who knows you might catch the eye of some genius who will give you a hand in making it a reality.

