How to make contact with companies searching for game projects?**

Started by
20 comments, last by Ravyne 13 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by xdj1nn
1. I just want to get contact with them... at least point me some ways for such
2. Someone there mentioned testing, well, if you can point me some companies that might hire outside from EU and USA I would appreciate such.

1. My article 21 tells you how to do that. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson21.htm - and you can use Wikipedia to look up video game publishers.
2. Use Wikipedia to look up video game publishers and developers, use GameDevMap and GameIndustryMap to find out where they're located. You have to live near the company before they will hire you or even interview you. Read my articles 27 and 24 and 5.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
I am not THAT talented into art, and I will repeat myself, I hate artwork or programming, simple scripting is okay, like a quest scripting or similar, but I still dont like it.

Why to you think I have changed to Marketing? My best talent is creation and:
From the list above I should just exclude the Level Design, I have no patience to train it for no reason, would only dedicate my time on that if I had a shot to kick in or just being inside already...
Publicity ends up into creation areas, just like Games, and equally, you need to get your hands dirt first, but getting the hands dirt is way more interesting and less boring for me then programming or art or whatever, and that is the main reason for my life choices, I wont fuck myself up just because some bureaucratic shit, still I have my incomplete GDDs here, the one I have quoted before almost complete, a small portfolio and some experience within Game Development, just wanted to try a shot.

All I was saying is that places aren't going to hire you unless you make yourself look like an expert at something.

Quote:
Wish ti was that easy, have you ever tried to get yourself a open visa to work specially if you come from Brazil? Besides, with their reasons(I really agree with them at most), many people just treat Brazilians as crap, and I wont get my head down for no reason...

Yeah. Exactly. I worked with someone who got to our company through a work visa from Australia. It was a pain in the ass for him, and us. He eventually quit and went to work someplace else, but the work visa got invalidated in the process, and he couldn't actually work. It helps to just be a citizen of the country where you are trying to get the job. If you can't find something in Brazil, you're going to either have to get the work visa, or move and get citizenship somewhere else.

Quote:
Testing games isnt something you must be at the company to do, and I am looking for a half-time job so I can keep studying...

Almost totally incorrect. Any console game is going to have to be tested on site, or at the publisher's testing facilities. The test kits for the games are owned by the different console manufactures and their associated publisher, testing facilities, and licensed developers. As far as a PC game, you'd have a slightly better chance cause anyone could run the game, but you would still likely have the same restrictions due to legal paperwork. Companies protect their IPs, and thus the software will be restricted to only the people who need to run it. That again means only the publisher, publisher's testers, and the game company itself. Some PC games do release their games on open beta testing and the like, but you aren't likely to get payed for that.

Quote:I understand your point, but I have heard all this bullshit before, and I see that even trying to ask for help isnt a functional path, specially trying to talk some reason into Game Companies, most Mainstream Games released on the past few years are a freaking crap, those does not worth the money that players are spending on them

Doesn't really matter. The only way you can speak out is to not purchase the games. For every purchase they get, it validates that they went down the right path.

Quote:many companies started to get this DLC policy to explore even more the consumers, and I am afraid that, and I hope it does not happen, the game industry is going into a hole...

Could be, but DLC is a huge market. People would rather spend 2$ here, and 4$ there for a total of 200$ a month than make a single 60$ purchase on a new title. It just comes down to the perception of value for the customer. I know tones of people who've spent more money on Rock Band dlc in the past two years than they have on regular music in the past ten years.

Quote:
Probably the main reason for all these bad games are the QAs and those expert programmers/artists GDs that are incompetent to create good games...

That's harsh! Sure, QA could be to blame for the massive number of bugs some games have. But look at console titles. Even with all their new-fangled patching the original releases are still 99% working because the QA on a console game requires it to be. As to the incompetence, there are an equally large number of skilled people in all those fields producing AAA tiles every year.

Quote:
Getting the job done way of choosing employees isnt what you need to get a good end product,

That goes for any field. But legendary experts are out of most company price ranges, as are just experts. But a few novices can pump out a lot of decent to good work on the cheap.

Quote:
and worse, the great majority of games are being released before they are even finished, I mean, what the fuck?
I just want to drag some attention into this: If they are releasing unfinished games, how the hell you have to balls to tell me that they only hire people who can get the job done? It isnt a job done, it is a incomplete job, and a crap end product... Think about it.

First off, what EXACTLY do you mean by "incomplete". One of the hardest jobs a game developer (or service/application/widget/etc. creator) has to face is figuring out how someone else will view their product. You may put something in the game only to find out that everyone outside the company finds it too hard / easy / confusing / objectionable. You may put stuff in the game you think is complete, but it leaves others with the feeling that you didn't quite put enough work into it. As far as "buggy" games, I'd agree, most games feature too many things to do and not enough testing of all the interactions the player might choose, leading to bugs and crashes.

Secondly, games are often released before they are finished because that is the only choice. You only have specific windows to release the game in. There are only a few places like Blizzard that can afford to release a game like Starcraft 2 whenever they feel like it. Most places get the choice to release just before christmas or have their company fold. So they polish up what they can and release their game in the best condition they can get it in the time they have.

Thirdly, the best condition you can release a game in isn't always the game you started out to make. There is a lot of iteration on what makes your game fun, challenging, and rewarding. And sometimes, you get the feedback for that really late in the process, leaving your precious little time to redo things to make it work.
I loved to discuss this with ya, we might continue it, but I guess my question has being answered.

I can give you a few examples and you might understand what I mean: the recently released Mafia II - obvious case of wiping out at least 75% of the game content right before the release, maybe for DLC proposes, but the game costs $60.00 and is one of the shortest games I have ever seeing on the AAA market. Also the in-game dialogs and missions show up that something is missing in it, gives away that they just took out that content, also, all the advertising and promo videos have being showing a completely different game, and the only feed for costumers they gave was into their forums saying that they were just taking everything out from the game. Separated exclusive, but essential, features for specific platforms, and etcetera. In resume, I would never hire their GD for anything then cleaning my floor and bringing me some coffee, would never work for such company and would even break the jaws of the guys who got those ideas...

Age of Conan - MMO, ok, usually MMOs are based mostly on patches, but I mean, they promised a Open World, made a lot of advertising showing a mostly complete MMO, having most of the required content by MMO Players, bumped a insanely heavy graphic and launched, a Instanced MMO(not open World), with all promised features that made ppl actually buy their pre-purchases not working properly, even the pvp system wasnt working at first, bugged graphics and obvious incomplete quests during the gameplay, besides lack of quests for certain in-game levels(mid-level characters would need to grind to lvl up). Granting the nickname Failcom for the games Company...

And the list continue, I can take a look at the last released games and criticize them here, also review some of the games I have actually played in the last few years, and most of them just fit into this classification of incomplete, but I guess I have given my point already, if you want I can try to explain it more precisely and giving some extra examples.

I dont know what make them fucked up their own projects, I just know that I am noting all the companies and GDs names into a list, so I can always remember who are the worst ones, the top one in my list is EA, they are so focused on making money that most of their games are a crap, still, they have a few great ones, maybe it is fault of the comapanys size.

Back into the topic: Thanks for the answers and the attention, I liked here I might stay and maybe someday search for some help with my indie projects, so far I have seeing that the Game Industry is a bureaucratic and a locked up area, so I guess I will have to content with Publicity and will just throw those GDDs of mine into the trash can ;)
Back into the topic: Thanks for the answers and the attention, I liked here I might stay and maybe someday search for some help with my indie projects, so far I have seeing that the Game Industry is a bureaucratic and a locked up area, so I guess I will have to content with Publicity and will just throw those GDDs of mine into the trash can ;)

If you really want to get a project off the ground then there is a Help Wanted section here on GameDev where plenty of people will want to work with you if your ideas are good enough. I think this is the most realistic way to get what you want:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=8
Game Designer at Playground Games
Quote:Original post by GesterX

If you really want to get a project off the ground then there is a Help Wanted section here on GameDev where plenty of people will want to work with you if your ideas are good enough. I think this is the most realistic way to get what you want:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=8

I will try to apply to some projects there, but I wont be recruiting people until I am certain that I have got enough time for such! Thank you mate
xdj1nn, in your future posts, please don't drop the f-bomb* anymore, okay? We prefer our conversations to be civil, and that means we don't need the profanity.

*"F-bomb" is slang for "the F word." I realize English is a second language for you, so you may not realize the impact some words can have on native speakers.

I hope this thread has been helpful for you. We haven't been trying to kill your dreams; we've just been trying to help you find a more realistic way of pursuing them.

Quote:Original post by Tom Sloper
xdj1nn, in your future posts, please don't drop the f-bomb* anymore, okay? We prefer our conversations to be civil, and that means we don't need the profanity.

*"F-bomb" is slang for "the F word." I realize English is a second language for you, so you may not realize the impact some words can have on native speakers.

I hope this thread has been helpful for you. We haven't been trying to kill your dreams; we've just been trying to help you find a more realistic way of pursuing them.

if you could I would appreciate some tips on where I have sinned in my posts =)

One way or another I thank you for the help.

Is my English good btw? Have never received a real good critic about it before, so I would appreciate that either, despite not being your job or propose in here =)
Your English is good enough, except for the fact that you used the F*** word multiple times. Just don't use it again. We understand you just fine.

I loved to discuss this with ya, we might continue it, but I guess my question has being answered.

I can give you a few examples and you might understand what I mean: the recently released Mafia II - obvious case of wiping out at least 75% of the game content right before the release, maybe for DLC proposes, but the game costs $60.00 and is one of the shortest games I have ever seeing on the AAA market. Also the in-game dialogs and missions show up that something is missing in it, gives away that they just took out that content, also, all the advertising and promo videos have being showing a completely different game, and the only feed for costumers they gave was into their forums saying that they were just taking everything out from the game. Separated exclusive, but essential, features for specific platforms, and etcetera. In resume, I would never hire their GD for anything then cleaning my floor and bringing me some coffee, would never work for such company and would even break the jaws of the guys who got those ideas...

Age of Conan - MMO, ok, usually MMOs are based mostly on patches, but I mean, they promised a Open World, made a lot of advertising showing a mostly complete MMO, having most of the required content by MMO Players, bumped a insanely heavy graphic and launched, a Instanced MMO(not open World), with all promised features that made ppl actually buy their pre-purchases not working properly, even the pvp system wasnt working at first, bugged graphics and obvious incomplete quests during the gameplay, besides lack of quests for certain in-game levels(mid-level characters would need to grind to lvl up). Granting the nickname Failcom for the games Company...

And the list continue, I can take a look at the last released games and criticize them here, also review some of the games I have actually played in the last few years, and most of them just fit into this classification of incomplete, but I guess I have given my point already, if you want I can try to explain it more precisely and giving some extra examples.

I dont know what make them fucked up their own projects, I just know that I am noting all the companies and GDs names into a list, so I can always remember who are the worst ones, the top one in my list is EA, they are so focused on making money that most of their games are a crap, still, they have a few great ones, maybe it is fault of the comapanys size.

This whole post shows how naive you are to how the process works. You seem to have the impression that the game designer is lord and master of every thing they see. Which is quite hardly the case. The publishers are the ones that have the final say on every thing. Mafia 2 may be the best game in history on paper but most publishers are worried about making enough money to pay the staff and make sure the CEO gets a bonus. Currently that means selling a bunch of DLC packs to "complete" a game. Why do you think there are so many FPS sequels? Its not because designers are lazy and can't think of anything. They sell millions of copies.

To be blunt, unless your name is Will Wright or Peter Molyneux there is very little chance a AAA game will be made exactly to your design. Heck its even possible The Sims have had things changed based on publisher input. If pure game design is what you want then sticking to self published indie games is probably where you are going to find the best luck.
but a good GD should have enough convincing skills to change publishers minds, besides, have you seen the flame flood 2k is getting in their forums for what they have done?

It isnt being naive its being realistic, you need to have people skills at any job to do the best you can, except for custom products or those aimed for the richest people, not games case though...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement