Deploying .exe

Started by
4 comments, last by Burnt_Fyr 13 years, 7 months ago
I'm trying to get my .exe to work on my friends computer. However, he keeps getting a side by side error. I'm running 64 windows 7 and he is running 64 vista. He does not have vs installed on his computer. I had him install the 64 and 32 versions of vcredist 2005 and 2008 and it did not fix the issue. The only libraries I'm linking to besides my own ones created in the project is directX 11. Please help!
Advertisement
You are on the right track. Which dev environment do you use? You might need to install VS2010 one's, but most probably the VS2008 SP1 ones.
Are you sure you're giving him a release build? Debug builds use a runtime not included with the redist.

You can use Dependency Walker to identify the specific DLLs that aren't being found. Make sure to read the documentation on how to use it properly (your problem really isn't the lack of MSJAVA.DLL).

Also, moved to For Beginners.
IF you are using Visual Studio, Sneftel's catch is easy to fix. Near the top of the IDE, next to the green Play button, it says Debug. Change this to Release, and give him the new .exe after you build it. Just changing this allowed me to share some fairly basic programs with friends, I am not sure how simple it is if your program is more complex.
I had a similar problem and running through dependency walker my video card drivers were old and did not have CUDA support and it was preventing the app from starting.
Sneftel most likely has the answer, and I believe there is a part of the FAQ that addresses deployment as well, but here is one more for you. Make sure that the redist that your friend installs is at least as recent as the sdk version you installed.

I develop on an XP machine, and had issues running demos on my 3d buddies vista comp. I had used the latest sdk, and though he had the lastest greatest directx stuff installed his version was not as new as the quarter/annual release i had installed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement