Black screen if I change resolution

Started by
7 comments, last by Buckeye 13 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I'm trying to create a D3DDevice using a lower resolution than the one of my display screen, and the window goes black (only in fullscreen):

...    mD3DParams.BackBufferWidth              = 800;    mD3DParams.BackBufferHeight             = 600;    mD3DParams.BackBufferFormat             = D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8;    mD3DParams.BackBufferCount              = 1;    mD3DParams.MultiSampleType              = D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE;    mD3DParams.MultiSampleQuality           = 0;    mD3DParams.SwapEffect                   = D3DSWAPEFFECT_DISCARD;    mD3DParams.hDeviceWindow                = hWnd;    mD3DParams.Windowed                     = false;    mD3DParams.EnableAutoDepthStencil       = true;    mD3DParams.AutoDepthStencilFormat       = true;    mD3DParams.Flags                        = 0;    mD3DParams.FullScreen_RefreshRateInHz   = D3DPRESENT_RATE_DEFAULT;    mD3DParams.PresentationInterval         = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE;    hr = g_pD3D->CreateDevice( D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, hWnd,                                      D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,                                      &d3dpp, &g_pd3dDevice );

If I set the back buffer dimmensions to match my display screen (1280x1024) then it works... Even, the Present call crashes sometimes.

Do you know why? I've tried it on several computers and the same black screen..

Please
Advertisement
I have windows 7, I've tried in on Vista and it works well.
What do the Debug Runtimes say?

And once you Reset() a device, it gets put into the same state as it was just after you create it - I.e. you need to set up all your materials, transforms, etc again.
Yes I know I'm following all the steps required before and after resetting a device. The reset process works perfectly when the device is lost using ALT+TAB.

The direct3d debug does not say anything...

I have the same problem with other games, and I know people that have windows 7 as well, and they have the same black screen...
Quote:Original post by Nene
The direct3d debug does not say anything...
As in there's no output at all, or no warnings or errors?

Quote:Original post by Nene
I have the same problem with other games, and I know people that have windows 7 as well, and they have the same black screen...
If you get this with the SDK samples, then it's probably a problem with your graphics card and/or driver.
I'll try to update my graphics card drivers.. However the same happens to my computer's friend, using windows 7 but with another graphics cards, strange..
Thanks!
Well, it seems this is a windows 7 bug.. google is plenty of similar issues
Precisely, using an ATI 5 series, which is the one my friend and I have..
Quote:mD3DParams.AutoDepthStencilFormat = true;

That should be a format, not true/false.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement